Isla Del Sol, Bolivia

Trip Start May 08, 2013
Trip End Sep 30, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Puno Region,
Sunday, May 26, 2013

We took a bumpy Tour Peru bus from Puno in Peru to Copacabana in Bolivia on Sunday morning. It only took around 3 hours and we used the same bus company on both sides of the border. We got dropped off on the Peruvian side of the border, got stamped out of the country and then walked over to the Bolivian side and got stamped in there. Easy. Racking up lots of passport stamps now.

We headed straight for the port and booked 25 Bolivian Boliviano tickets to the Isla Del Sol on Lake Titicaca. From there we went on to get the World's Most Disgusting Pizza on the waterfront in Copacabana and shortly afterwards boarded the boat to the island.

We were both incredibly glad we left our large backpacks in Peru as there were an absolutely enormous number of Inca steps on the island and the other backpackers were really struggling with all their stuff! We were on the south of the island in a town called Yumani.

We stayed one night in an Inti Wasi cabin with a gorgeous view over Lake Titicaca. It really was beautiful. I was a bit off my food but Andrew ordered a sandwich and fries for his dinner from a local restaurant. We waited one hour and the meal was pretty bad.

After an excellent sleep, we got a boat ride to Challapampa on the north of the island and from there did a 3 hour trek back along the coast to Yumani. The walk was fantastic with lots of uphill climbs but the scenery was amazing, we met loads of local people and there were lots of piglets along the route! It was an amazing walk.

When we got back to Yumani, we waited a short while for a boat back to Copacabana on the mainland. We stayed over one night in a local hotel and booked bus tickets for the next day.

Unfortunately in the morning we discovered there were local strikes (this is a recurring thing) and our bus was cancelled. We ended up having to wait an extra 5 hours and got the night-time bus instead. This meant crossing the border in the pitch black, picking up random people from the side of the road (me thinking we were going to be mugged as a result of this) and then the entire bus being searched by police for drugs and guns.

We were happy to be back in Puno but as I was still unwell, we had to make a trip to another doctor the following morning. Our insurance company have been really unhelpful as we have told them several times that I need the medication by Friday but they keep stalling. However, that is a story for another day.

This doctor fortunately spoke English and did more tests but didn't really come to any conclusion and had no advice on what to do about getting the medication that doesn't exist in Peru. His suggestion is returning to the UK. Also my GP back in Glasgow suggests that we return to the UK for treatment.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: