Days Go By

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Jun 08, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
My Sister Jackie's Place

Flag of United States  , California
Saturday, June 5, 2010

"I want to love you, PYT, pretty young thing" was blasting in my ear as Jackie's alarm went off at 8am. She hit her snooze button and went back to sleep above me. I surprisingly slept like a baby on Jackie's hardwood floor. Before she went to work, she insisted I sleep in her bed and I willingly crashed until 10am.

We had a very slow moving morning. Tara tried to move her car from the street and into a nearby parking lot in hopes of avoiding parking tickets. I was preparing to take a shower, FINALLY, when Tara came in and said that the car, ironically, wasn't starting. We called AAA and asked for a jump. They showed up around 10:30am and the car was ready to go. Tara and I blogged while Julie slept and Dre and Jackie were at work.

It was around 2pm when we realized how long we had been hanging out at the house. We were all starving having not eaten all day. Tara went to go get the car when she realized it wasn't starting again! I called AAA again to have them come out and actually fix it this time. A man named Victor came by and told us that the battery needed to be replaced. What a miracle! We drove all the way here from Detroit and the battery dies out as soon as we arrived to our final destination...or at least almost our final destination. God was definitively looking out for us!  Victor said he could replace it right there, Tara agreed and the car was running like new.

We finally headed out to In N Out Burger. There were lines wrapped around the building for the drive through orders and the parking lot was packed with people. Julie claimed this is how it always is here. In N Out Burger is fast food, however everything is "fresh, never frozen" and made at the location to order. Of course it is only on the West Coast. We got our burgers and sat down to eat. We were order #16, when we got up after 25 minutes, they were shouting out order #48. The place was crazy busy, and totally worth the wait.

We went back to Jackie's place so Julie could get ready to go to work. Tara and I picked up my cousins Jeff and Laura to go visit my grandparents, Mama Jamou (MJ) and Baba George (BG). Jeff lives in Michigan and Laura lives in Arizona. Jeff went to Arizona first to see Laura and they both came to California to visit the family and experience San Diego, as it is Jeff's first time here! Our grandparents had no idea we were coming, I love surprising them. None of us live here so it made the surprise that much better. MJ & BG are the best people I know; they raised an amazing family and I'm proud to be a part of it. I was excited to see the look on their faces as we walked in.

MJ was sleeping in the bedroom and BG was sleeping on the couch. We all walked into MJ's room first and woke her up. She had a huge smile on her face, she kept saying "is this a dream?" and "where did this party come from?" as we gave her hugs and kisses. At the point, BG woke up from all the noise we were making. He, too, had a great big toothless smile on his face (he didn't put his dentures in yet). They are so cute! MJ got up and we all sat in the family room and talked about our travels. My grandparents don't speak a word of English. MJ was frustrated because she couldn't converse with Tara. I translated so it worked out okay. We called my Uncle Steve and Aunt Neeran to see what they were up to. Thankfully they were close by and told us to hang tight for 15 minutes. Sure enough, in 15 minutes they arrived.

I was so happy. I haven't seen my uncle Steve in YEARS. He was working as a translator in the Middle East. When we visited Cali in the past, we saw everyone but him. My mom always was sad to leave without seeing him. I love my Aunt Neeran and my cousins, Mariam, Rita, Anthony, and Christina, but it just wasn't the same without Uncle Steve. Thank God he is home safe and we were able to see everyone together for once in about 5 years. It felt like home again and I was so happy. MJ brought out some Turkish coffee for us as we chatted about any and everything.

It came time to read fortunes, a silly thing you do with the remnants of the Turkish coffee. When you're done drinking it, there is a thick layer of what looks like mud. You take the plate and put it over the rim of the coffee cup and flip it over. The mud slowly drips down to create images which can be read to determine fortunes. We passed our cups to my grandma and she told everyone good things. My fortune was that I was going to hear great news from two skinny people and one overweight man. I don't know how she would see their weight in the cup, maybe it was me and I looked like a boy? Whatever it was, I'll take any great news from anyone! Tara's was that she would be hearing some great news too, and get a great job with a lot of money coming in. Let's hope these fortunes do come true!

We got ready to head out and visit my uncle Louie at work. He owns a New York Giant Pizza that is a located in between my grandparent's house and Jackie's apartment. John, the oldest of my uncle's 4 boys, was working behind the counter. I'm shocked every time I see him; he looks like a grown man! It's crazy how fast time flies. Uncle Louie was out on a delivery while John and the other 2 employees hustled to make the constant pizzas ordered. Jeff had some experience in making pizzas so he volunteered to make ours for dinner. To everyone's amusement, he used a roller to flatten the dough and proceeded to add the toppings. Everyone else behind the counter laughed as they use their hands to flatten the dough; rollers are for amateurs. Regardless of how Jeff flattened the dough, it came out great.

We said our goodbyes to Uncle Louie and John then headed back downtown to prepare for an evening out. I brought Julie some left over pizza to eat before she went to work and we all toasted to Madria Sangria. Laura's wallet was in my bag so I had to drop it off to her before getting ready.  By the time I got back, I was exhausted and ended up waiting for Jackie to get home before figuring out what to do. She was tired from working a 13 hour day at Barona. We decided to catch up and stay in for the night. Tara left with Dre to meet up with my cousins at Stingaree.

Tara came in drunk as hell and knocked on the door in her PJs. She asked us for Dre's number to call her and let her know she was back in the apartment. She also told us about her little rendezvous in a rickshaw to get herself back home. Oh Tara, the things/people we use for transportation. About 15 minutes later, Dre came in and they talked about how they lost each other. After that we all got ready for bed, it was 3am!

I laid down on the floor again and before Jackie could get a channel selected, I was in dreamland.

Next stop: LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!

Until tomorrow...


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Uncle Al on

You guess it.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: