Last day in Vietnam

Trip Start Jan 01, 2011
Trip End Mar 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rising Dragon

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Sunday, March 20, 2011

After a very poor sleep last night, we got up at 6 am and went to the airport in Nha Trang to fly to Hanoi to start our journey home. It was interesting to see all the activity so early in the morning. The drive to the airport took about 35 minutes and parts of it reminded me of the old Sea-to-Sky highway - windy with water on one side and hills on the other.

The flight to Hanoi went smoothly and we took a taxi into the city. It seems that the prices have gone up a bit from last year. The first place the taxi driver pulled up to wasn't even a hotel! He had the wrong street. After calling into dispatch, he was able to find our hotel. The service at the hotel as we entered was some of the best we have had in Vietnam. We were given tea and coffee while they were checking us in. As we were a bit sleepy, we didn't realize that what was really going on was that our room wasn't ready yet! Once we were done our drinks, we tried to get our room and with much apologizing, the manager said that they were not ready. Fair enough as we were trying to check in early.

As breakfast wasn't all that great in the morning, we decided to have an early lunch. The restaurant recommended turned out to the be the one we went to last year and really enjoyed. Last year, we had some serious difficulties finding it, but the directions this time were easy to follow and we were able to find it. On our walk to the restaurant, we both remembered why we are not huge fans of Hanoi. We find it to be dirty, busy and honestly, a bit of a hole. We weren't planning on coming here this trip, but since our plane is leaving from here, we had to.

Once at the restaurant, we were not disappointed. It was as delicious as we remembered it and the atmosphere was as great. The restaurant is set around a courtyard with a large tree in the middle and then is surrounded by food stalls that make the different menu options. It was a great lunch. It was so good that after our nap in the afternoon, we returned for dinner!

After lunch, we figured that we would be able to check into our hotel. When we got back, the manager explained that we were going to have to move to another hotel as our room in that hotel had a broken air conditioner. Not to worry though, the hotel we were moved to was supposed to be nicer than the one we booked into. The manager walked us to the other hotel and we were checked in. After getting our room, I went into the bathroom and noticed there was no toilet paper which was strange. I called down to the front desk and someone came up. It turned out it was not to bring toilet paper, but to move us to a different room! Apparently the toilet in that room had just been fixed and was not ready yet. No wonder there was grout tracking out of the bathroom. The next room seemed to have no problems and the bed was super comfortable.

Tomorrow we have to be up at 5 am to start our trip home. Our Asia trip has been pretty good, but I think we both enjoyed Europe more. Laos was very interesting and I'm glad that we were able to see it before it became too Westernized. The highlight in Thailand was Chiang Mai and the snorkeling and of course, we liked Vietnam, even though, I was the sick for most of it and Jeff part of it. We are looking forward to seeing family, friends and Callie for the next couple weeks and then will be off to South America, starting with Chile, on April 8. Look for a new blog coming around April 13 or so.

Thanks for following our trip and hope you enjoyed it!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: