3 nights on Koh Phi Phi, 2 nights of poor sleep

Trip Start Jan 01, 2011
Trip End Mar 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
PP Beach Front Resort

Flag of Thailand  ,
Friday, February 18, 2011

On Wednesday, we took the 1pm ferry from Koh Lanta to Koh Phi Phi where we would be staying for 3 nights. The ferry ride to Koh Phi Phi went well and we arrived 1 hour later. Once getting off the boat, paying our "pier cleaning fee" of 20 baht each, we started walking to our hotel which was located on Loh Dolum Bay on the other side of Tonsai Bay. The island seems a lot warmer than Koh Lanta, so in the mid-afternoon heat, the walk was a bit draining.

When we arrived at our hotel, the tide was way out. Over the next few days, we discovered that the tide went really far out and would come really far up the beach, almost like at the Twin Bays Resort.

After checking in, we wandered around the town and had lunch. Then it was back for a swim.

The first night came as a bit of a shock. When we got back to the hotel, we could hear the music from the other side of the bay where all the beach bars were. And it wasn't like it was quiet, it was full on bass thumping and you could hear the entire song. The music traveled quite well over the bay, hit our rooms and then bounced back at us against the hill behind. Lovely.

Over the next couple days, we wandered into town for meals, swam and read our books. On one of the days, Jay and Dave went on a tour to Maya Bay (where the movie The Beach was filmed) and a couple other snorkel stops. Jeff and I went on a similar tour last year, so we stayed back.

One night, we went to the Reggae Bar to watch some Muay Thai boxing which turned out to be a small demonstration and then tourists boxing for free buckets of liquor.

On our last day on Koh Phi Phi, we decided that we would try to walk when the tide was out to the Monkey Beach just around the corner. Turned out to be not such a great idea. The rocks were slippery and once in the water, visibility was poor and there were tonnes of sea urchins. We all made it back in one piece, but I was a bit stressed.
Luckily that stress melted away as we were taken out by Jay and Dave as it was their last night with us for an awesome dinner at Le Grand Bleu, a French/Thai restaurant. The food was great and it was a super cute restaurant.

After dinner, we went for a Dr. Fish massage where tiny fish eat the dead skin off your feet and legs. It's so ticklish at first, but then feels like little electrical impulses after. We think the fish in Cambodia were a lot better - our feet were way smoother, but it's always a fun thing to do.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: