Journey to the Thai islands

Trip Start Jan 01, 2011
Trip End Mar 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Kradan Beach Resort

Flag of Thailand  , Trang,
Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tuesday we had a very relaxing morning. We woke up late, had a leisurely breakfast, Jeff went to the hotel gym while I had a bubble bath and we packed. We checked out late at 1pm and went to the Giant Salad Bar again. Like the day before, it was delicious. We then sat around the pool until it was time to go to the airport.

Around 3:30pm we headed to the airport to catch our Air Asia flight to Krabi town. The flight went well and we arrived in Krabi on time. We got off the plane on the tarmac and were at once wet. It is so humid.

Once we collected our baggage, we had to take a taxi to our hotel. It seemed a bit odd that there were lots of taxi signs in the airport saying that you had to buy the taxi inside, so Jeff went outside to investigate. This appeared to be the case – there were no taxis in sight. The prices were outrageous for the taxis so we ended up taking the shuttle bus which was only slightly cheaper. There is a major transportation racket going on at that airport.

We took the shuttle bus into town and had confirmed that we would be taken directly to our hotel. On the way, we passed our hotel and were a bit confused. Turns out that they take you to a travel agency to try to sell you accommodation and island transfers. We had everything booked, so we weren't of interest to them and shortly we were taken in a different van to our hotel.

In the morning, we took our transfer van to Trang which was over 2 hours from Krabi. When we got to the Kradan Beach Resort office, we found out that the next transfer to the island was in 2 hours at noon. We should have slept in!

To get to the resort, we had to take a 45 minute van ride (through a rain storm) to the pier (which was thankfully sunny) and then a 45 minute longtail boat ride to the resort. We finally arrived at the resort around 2:30 and were starving. We checked in and dropped our bags and then had lunch, which was really good. By accident they even brought us a chili fish which is some of the best fish I have had.

After lunch, we changed and headed to the beach for some snorkeling. The water was so warm. The first area off the beach had several fish, but not a huge variety. We eventually found the large coral head that I had read about online and saw so many different fish. Many fish, we had never seen before. We even saw a cream and black spotted moray eel. At one point, a large school of good-sized silver fish came rushing past us. The coral here was in pretty good shape.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: