Trip Start Apr 01, 2013
Trip End Jun 28, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Crew Stadium, Columbus
Rock on the Range, Columbus

Flag of United States  , Ohio
Sunday, May 19, 2013

Had another good sleep-in and a slow start today. I was mindful that this day was likely to be bigger than the other two so I wanted to make sure I was in peak physical condition.

The plan of attack was to meet up with the Canadian fellas again assuming they weren't tiring of me. Like that could ever happen :)

I left the hotel just after midday and started to walk to Crew Stadium with the intention of hailing a cab when one passed. By the time one finally came along I was half way there.

The Canadians had managed to get the same carpark as they had yesterday and their boot party was well underway by the time I arrived. After 3 or 4 beers and some more of the Maple Whiskey, we decided to head in and catch a bit of music.

It is pretty amusing seeing people passed out at 2.00pm in the afternoon with another 10 hours of music still to come :)

We started off listening to Steel Panther who were playing on the main stage. They were probably a bit too heavy for my liking. Next up was Skillet, who are actually an American christian rock band out of Memphis, Tennessee. The band consists of a husband and wife team and two others, 1 guy and 1 girl. The girl is the drummer and she was awesome. The husband and wife were each standing on these pillars that raised and lowered throughout their show. The drummer was playing hard out and was as good as any guy I'd seen with the sticks. I thought they were pretty cool.

We headed over to one of the side stages and caught part of a set played by 'In This Moment' who had a powerful woman on lead vocals. Unfortunately we only got to hear the one song but they sounded pretty good.

Next up on the main stage was Danish metal band, Volbeat. They played a hard full-on set that had the crowd heaving. They even banged out a couple of cool Johnny Cash songs. I had made a call to avoid the mosh-pit due to a combination of fear and the fact that it was still pretty early.

We were now starting to get down to the business end of the festival. British rockers, Bush, came on just after 6pm and they were awesome. Their mixture of rock and grunge definitely had the crowd engaged. Their biggest hits, Glycerine and Comedown, were crowd favourites.

As we prepared for the big guns, we watched a group of twats full-on shoulder charging each other. They all had their shirts off and were bunting the shit out of each other. When a song would finish, it was all high fives, back slaps and hugs. Then the next song would start up and they would go at it again. It's a 'metal' thing apparently. Weird.

It was now time for the festival heavyweights, with Alice in Chains first up. The Seattle grunge rockers certainly didn't let their fan base down, belting out one hit after another, including Would, Man in the Box, Rooster, Them Bones and Nutshell to name a few.

By this stage, I had finally drummed up enough courage to hit the mosh pit. It wasn't long before I was getting smashed around with the rest of them.The flag nearly went west again as did my hat which ended up damaged although still wearable.

Then it was all on like donkey kong. Chris Cornell led the Soundgarden boys on stage and the crowd erupted as they opened with the song, Flower. Chris Cornell undesputably has one of the best voices in rock and can sure as hell belt out a tune. By this time, the mosh pit was fair heaving with bodies flying through the air as the crowd surfers made their way to the front and over the security barricade.

About half way through the Soundgarden set, I'd had enough as I was pretty well battered and bruised. I made my way back out to the edge of the crowd. My shirt was soaked in a cocktail of sweat and beer. I watched their last few songs which included anthems, Rusty Cage and Black Hole Sun, in a slightly more relaxed environment.

And then it was all over.

I headed back to the car and met up with the Canadians. After another beer we all headed back to the McDonalds, opposite to where I was staying, for a late night snack.

Sadly, I bid farewell to the Canadian boys (Tom, Pete and Scott) who had extended their hospitality and looked after me so well for the past 3 days. I hope one day I get the opportunity to return the favour if they can find their way down to our part of the world.

Huge day and very tired, not to mention a little sore.

Over and out !
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: