Game Count Over!

Trip Start Feb 19, 2006
Trip End Oct 24, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Zimbabwe  ,
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

This morning we continued counting, even though there was not much to see. We had to stay here until midday. At the end of the game count we saw a few each of the following; warthog, kudu, impala and elephant. For me game count was a great experience, although I didn't really enjoy it due to not seeing many animals. Should we do it again, I hope we are given a more popular place.

At midday on the dot, we left our counting place and drove back to Robin's Camp. Here we met with everyone else and handed in our counting results. We chatted with the others and were jealous of their sightings, but at least we knew where to go this afternoon for our game drive.

We then had some lunch and a bit of a rest and finally a shower! At about mid-afternoon we all got into our car and went for a game drive.

At the start of our game drive we saw kudu and zebra. Both these sightings were a bit disappointing, as the animals seemed skittish and did not stay around long enough for us to enjoy the sighting. Half an hour into our game drive, things improved when we saw a breeding herd of elephants. I was so happy to see them, especially as they didn't run at the sight of our vehicle. Then again fifteen minutes later we saw another breeding herd of elephants. Game viewing for me was improving.
Our destination for this drive was to go and find the lion on a zebra kill that had been spotted during the game count. We found the kill. The give away sign was the smell and the many vultures in the nearby trees. It was about two metres from the road. Visibility was not great, as the grass was very long. There was more than half of the zebra left and sitting next to it in the shade was a lioness. As there was not much happening, we drove to Little Tom's pan in the hope of seeing some animals drinking. 
There was quite a lot of water at Little Tom's but no animals. Our next stop was Big Tom's Pan. Here there was not as much water, but a viewing platform to climb up. Also there were no animals here. 
We started driving back towards Robin’s Camp. It would be our last night here and then moving to a new campsite tomorrow night. We then came across another breeding herd of elephants. I feel for the elephants, as there is not much greenery for them to eat. A Ground Hornbill was then spotted, so nice to see them in the wild.

The sunset tonight was amazing. We stopped to enjoy it and then headed back to camp for the night. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: