Trip Start May 23, 2007
Trip End Aug 02, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Thursday, May 24, 2007

IBI 2007
Carpe Diem!
Wednesday/Thursday Morning Crossing the Pond
11:53 pm
 I can't sleep. I thought I could, but I can't. It's not that I'm not tired but the fact that this plane is not ideal for sleeping and that I have a habit of having a very hard time falling asleep. I don't know when it happen but somehow I developed a horrible habit of letting any little thing keep me away. Of course I do have the option of taking something but then when I woke up in four hours and had to go through customs I might be a tad groggy. Anyways enough of my whines and lets get down to the nitty gritty.
Today I had to get up bright and early, not to leave but so that I could go to one final appointment with Dr Beult my Chiropractor for my back. Originally I had fully planned on skipping this step but after an ache came back in my back I decided it would be best to go in. The good news is I won't die from it. Actually I did get really good news. Dr. Beult thinks that my back is strong and that it will be able to handle anything that I get thrown into within reason. It may not like all of the tasks in Europe but he doesn't think I will displace it again which is exactly what I wanted to hear. He was also very willing to find a Palmer graduate working in whatever country I might need them in. Not that I would like to have a problem but it is nice to know that if I do we will get it taken care of.
After a rather long appointment, he ws swamped, we headed back to the house where I put my bags together and put everything away in my room before running downstairs and in the process of trying to get my suitcase out the door also breaking off a wheel. NOT GOOD! Mom insisted that we run to target and get another suitcase which put us behind schedule but was definately needed, although I was more than willing to try superglue at the time. It definately wasn't a good omen but we got to target and after a few mis-steps I finally got the bags and repacked in the car. Of course I am more than a little nervous about the possibility of breaking off a wheel on this one as well. (wish me luck:) )
Interestingly enough we just hit some turbulence.  It amazes me how differently my body tends to react to it. Sometimes it scares me and I immediately stiffen up feeling as though at any moment the plane will drop out of the sky, and then other times it excites me as though I'm  on a roller coaster at a theme park.
After realizing that I forgot my ice pack, for my back, and making a quick trip back to the house mom and I hit the road. You would think that we are seasoned pros by this point but we're not. Needless to say we made it to ohare and to the sports bar, where we were meeting the other girls with their families from Olivet, in plenty of time. The dinner/lunch was really good. It was nice to get to meet the families and just bond before we went into the hubub of ohare. After a quick trip through customs(my suitcase=52lbs, only allowed 50) we went to the international terminal and met the rest of our group leaving from ohare. To say that we bonded immediately is an understatement. We spent the better part of two hours getting to know each other. By the time our delayed flight took off we were old friends. Of course the fact that our flight was delayed did cause a little bit of a problem. Once we landed in detroit we had 15 minutes to catch the plane to london. The pilot asked that all connecting flights be let off first and with some quick footwork and a couple of French women leading the way we jogged to our gate. Thankfully we made it with seconds to spare, I actually had to ask the stewardess to wait for us but she just smiled and said "Jill and Jessica?"(the others ran ahead). After finally boarding the plane we took our seats where Jenna and I seem to be constant partners. It makes it nice though since we know each other and are comfortable drooling on each others shoulders, after all we have shared a sleeping bag on concrete before!
After we landed at Gatwick, not incredibly impressed, we quickly made our way to customs where we were abruptly stopped. The line was the longest line I have ever seen. It went from being in one room to yet another that looped around and around. It was so hot. An hour later we were wondering around the airport trying to find the checkin for our next flight to Vilnius. We quickly found out that we would need to wait until 2pm(london) just to check in and found ourselves situated on benches in the upper level. There insued what can only be considered panic as ibi'ers came back up and informed us that not only did our luggage have to be 44lbs for this flight but that our purses and laptops counted as carry ons of which you were only allowed one, and only allowed one checked bag. Oy Ve` It was panic. people packed and repacked bags along with threatening to not pay the $10 for every 2lbs our bags were over. It was a nightmare but like most people who have a 4hour break before being able to check in we quickly moved on to sleeping on the floor and on our bags. THis wouldn't have been unordinary except for the fact that the benches we were stationed by were right at the top of the escalators. It quickly became common for me to peek out from my mask (that I brought for sleeping and works amazingly) and find random brits looking down at me talking about our sprawled bodies. I would have found this amusing at most other times but having not slept yet I didn't care in the least. After 20-30minutes of hard core shut eye we were woken up to go down and check in. As we feared the luggage rumors were true, to an extent. It turns out that although our airline did only allow two bags total that had no concern for the weight of the two bags. We quickly dropped suitcases and stuffed them with anything that we found too heavy. Hopefully now we can all make our one carry on fit in the bin.

Problems So far:
1. broke luggage
2. forgot ice
3. kyle lost luggage
4. patty lost wallet
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: