Onward to Chile!

Trip Start May 27, 2008
Trip End May 18, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Residencial Americano

Flag of Chile  ,
Saturday, February 21, 2009

On my last entry, I talked about our exit from Mollendo, getting as far as Tacna, Peru.  Well, we were in a station wagon, I believe, being driven by a fellow who had picked the car up at the port, and was delivering it somewhere in Tacna.  Well, anyway, we did get to the Tacna bus station, and caught a collectivo taxi to the frontera.  There, we stamped out of Peru, into Chile.  I was hoping that the entry stamp (150$) for U.S. people would not be required here (overland) as is required in the Santiago airport, and gratefully, I didn't have to fork over the $ for the entry stamp.

The crossing was uneventful, and pleasant as can be; we stamped out, walked a little bit, had our luggage inspected, and stamped in.  No problem.

We reboarded the taxi, and he took us to the bus station in Arica.  A cabbie jumped us, and bundled us up in his cab, and took off for a hotel near el centro.  Well, in my spreadsheet, I call it "the pit".  We were too tired to do anything but unload, determined to locate a new hotel the next day.

Well, after a night in "the pit", we found a new hotel, which was nice, but the woman running it was a little overbearing.  Oh well. It does have a nice kitchen, a little cozy, but everything there that we needed to cook up some great fish dinners!  Debbie and I walked down to the beach, and stopped in at a fancy hotel and went into their pool area, sat down around the pool, and got something to drink.  It was very wonderful there, and we asked about a room, but just abit out of budget! 

That night we cooked our fish that we had purchased in the fish market, and with a beer or two, and hit the sack.  The next day, we decided to watch the sunset from the beach.  We found a boardwalk restaurant that had an excellent view for the setting sun, and after 2 bottles of wine, and the setting sun, the band came in to play.  Well, I ended up dancing half the night, and had a ball!  We were WALKING back, and I spied a disco with alot of kids hanging around, and convinced Debbie to go discoing!  So, we paid our entrance fee, and went dancing again!

After a night of partying, we carried on.  We bought some more fish, and friend another fish dinner.  This fish was excellent, they call it reina something or other.  It was just delicious.

After a few more days on the beach, we decided to head southward following the beach path. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: