Welcome to Singapore

Trip Start May 28, 2012
Trip End Oct 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Singapore  ,
Monday, May 28, 2012

So Singapore's hot. 
We arrived in Singapore at about 12:30ish and it was a fairly smooth experience. You literally stroll through customs. No one checks anything, however the customs sheet you fill in did advise that any drug trafficking would result in death! 
As soon as we stepped out of the doors a massive wave of mugginess hits you. After telling the taxi organiser dude that we didn't require a luxury Chrysler to take us to our cheap hostel, we headed into Singapore proper to sleep for the first time in 24 hours. The hostel was a bit of a shock as it's out in Little India (you know you're in for an interesting time when the driver doesn't know where it is).  Room is small with no windows, but that doesn't matter when you have a heat pump that you can set to full power and 16 degrees to get things back to Wellington-esque temperatures.  Hostel is actually pretty sweet; has everything you need and makes me feel 'hip' living in a less upmarket part of town.  Footpaths appear to be completely optional here so you just sort of walk along the side of the road and dodge people, parked motorbikes/trucks/bicycles/cars, tables, stuff being delivered, stuff being sold, stuff in general.  Was a bit weird to start but getting pretty used to it.  Traffic isn't bad at all, which is to be expected when they tax a new car at 150% or so, plus charge you for the right to own a car (pay something like $10,000 for ten years, and then you reapply to buy a new licence to own a car).  We have also sussed the MRT system (subway) which is also super cheap and a pretty fast way to get around.  

Food is everywhere. And, as expected, lots of Indian food in Little India but masses of Malay and Chinese too.  Loving Kaya toast for breakfast (an egg and soya sauce concoction put into toast - sounds weird but A-Mazing), and having a $3.5 dinner that doesn't suck is still a nice novelty.  

Spent about 4 hours driving around on the top of a sightseeing bus.  Saw the city.  Got rained on. Still 30+ degrees but was just nice to have the wind in my hair and it kept us pretty cool for the day. We went and met up with Jono Luke after he finished work and went up 70 floors for a ($16) beer on the tallest building in Singapore.  Pretty spectacular views with only some glass between "building" and "not-building."  Saw a light show which wasn't that great but still worth watching and made for some sweet photos. Fought the urge to throw something off but in doing so you would quite possibly go to jail. Jono informed us Singapore was the size of Lake Taupo, which I thought was a pretty damn nifty fact. He also let us know chewing gum in public and jay walking illegal so I need to get out of my Wellington jay walking ways. Was good times overall. Went and ate in a hawker centre ($6 Japanese to mix things up) and then was about to fall asleep in my miso so went back for some sweet z's,

Zoo. It was badass. I saw a white tiger and a rhino and they had a lot of amazing things - puts the NZ zoos to shame. Jason got pulled out of the crowd to act as a tribal warrior in a show in front of 100+ people. He fricken got his shirt off and did a war dance. It was not embarrassing at all.... 
One of the monkeys fell in love with Jason, I think it was the red singlet he was wearing...or maybe he just liked the clippers? But every time Jason walked one way the little monkey would follow him along his tree and then stop and just stared at us. Then Jason would move his head left and right and the monkey copied, he even tried to follow us as we walked away. 

Today we went on a mean mish to try and find some bikes to ride. We hopped on the MRT and then attempted to catch a bus to a place called East coast park. The lonely planet was outdated and told us to use a bus that didn't exist so we had to hop on this random one and hope for the best. It was wrong so we got into a taxi once we got there it was pretty lush. Jason wouldn't let me get the big bike for multiple people (ERB - you know the ones on Oriental Parade that you always wanted to do!!!) so we hit up the board-walk and down the pier for some sweet views of the massive tankers in the harbour and the faint shoreline of Malaysia. Jason saw his dream skate park which I wasn't too fazed about but apparently it was amazing yada yada. We tried a coconut which I thought was disgusting and saw a cable ski park which basically it's like being pulled by a cable (as if you were water-skiing) around in a circle with heaps of different jumps. Most of the people we saw try it weren't very good. We got an oreo McFlurry which was amazing because it was so chilled. 
Tonight we're heading to the National Museum of Singapore - it's free after 6pm and hope to see some museumy stuff. Vietnam tomorrow Booya!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


camandamy on

i just cried a little bit with laughter! awesome blog jamie! sounds like the bestest time! xxxxx

Court, JC & Mason on

LOVE the update! James you are hilarous! Can't wait for more stories

Evan on

Did you do some mad flips on the cable skiing?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: