Surf, sun, and lots of gringos!!

Trip Start Apr 21, 2010
Trip End Jun 29, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Guanacaste,
Sunday, May 16, 2010

This place takes some dedication to get to. We hopped on the bus in Tamarindo at 1:00 PM and didn't get into Nosara until 8:30 PM. The town itself is 3 km away from the beach (on rough dirt jungle roads) and gringo accommodations, and it felt like we were heading straight into the jungle, which I guess we were. When we finally arrived at the 'bus terminal', which was actually just a convenience store, we asked if the store owner could call us a taxi. He did, and when the taxi arrived he told us it would be 15$ to take us to the hostel. We figured that was outrageous and asked him to call another one for us, which proved to be rather difficult since 15$ seemed to be the going rate. Finally he called what seemed to be a friend of his who took us to the hostel for the bargain basement price of 10$. It turns out the hostel was a good 5 km away on more jungle dirt roads and we realized that 15$ was in fact somewhat reasonable.You have to remember that we are used to Nicaraguan taxi prices, which is 1$
to anywhere in any city. This was a good reminder that Costa Rica is
anything but cheap. In fact, a lot of things are just as expensive or
more expensive than at home (especially in the resort gringo towns).

It's a good thing we didn't decide to walk because every hotel, restaurant or surf shop here is separated by long, twisty, and forked dirt roads that make you feel very alone and lost in the wilderness. Basically, you can't survive without an ATV or dirtbike here. Anyways, we arrived at the hostel was closed. The restaurant told us they couldn't help us because they are seperate from the hostel. So here we are on a dark, quite jungle road wondering what we are going to do. Thankfully, the security guard saw us and was able to get us settled in in the dorm. Phew!

The next day, we explored the gorgeous surf beach which is everything a Pacific beach should be: beautiful, windy, rough, and rocky. Thanks to some smart planning in the '60s, it is prohibited to build closer than 200m from the beach, so it is beautifully pristine, clean, and all natural. The waves were intense, and the beach was beautiful white sand interspersed with rocky bluffs. It reminded me alot of the West Coast, especially when the waves crashed on the rocks and sprayed us from 10 feet away. We decided to try to find the jungle trail back to our hostel, and promptly got lost on the confusing jungle dirt roads. After two hours of wandering, we finally made it back to the beach and backtracked until we found the main road leading back the hostel.

After a few hours of grumbling about the price of food, surf lessons, and accommodations in Costa Rica and how much we suddenly missed Nicaragua, we decided to suck it up and relax in the hostel pool, which was quite a treat! We went to sleep at about 9 and woke up 2 and a half hours later to the unmistakable sounds of a wild party...Unfortunately this party was about 10 feet from our cabin and there was no glass on our windows. So we grudgingly put in earplugs and tried to get back to sleep, hoping this was a rare occurrence.

The next day, we woke up early to book our beginner surfing lessons at Juan's surfo shop, a local surf guru. He promised me he'd have us surfing in 30 minutes, so off we went to brave the waves. Turns out Juan did have us up and surfing in about 30 minutes, which was super super fun! The water was borderline hot and we both got burned AGAIN, despite 50 SPF sunblock (grrrrrr). We both have some bruises and cuts from getting bashed around in the surf and therefore feel like hardcore surfers!! Lol. We also survived the prevalent sting rays in the area, thanks to an inside tip from sweet old Juan. Turns out Juan was also a little creepy and kept insisting that Jason should go further and further into the waves and then tried to chat me up...Oh dear. After a solid hour of battling the elements, we went back for a dip in the pool and a rest. Then we went back out again on our own and both managed to get up!! Jason is a natural and started going for bigger waves, and I snapped some pretty awesome pictures of him surfing away!

We then grabbed a six pack and waited till dusk to watch the really good surfers at high tide. It was pretty cool, but it started pouring and we ran back to our hostel and attempted to party but only lasted about 30 minutes because we were both so exhausted from our workout. Like clockwork, we woke up at 11:30 to the sounds of an even bigger party right outside our cabin. We were way too sober to try and join the festivities, so we ate cookies and grumbled about the lack of glass on the windows.

Off to catch the next big wave (probably more like another sunburn)!


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mom on

Hey J-Rae;-)

Really enjoying your blogs and pics. Is the May 16th entry really the most recent one on here, or am I missing something? Looking forward to some scuba diving shots and stories!

Hugs to you both,
Love Always,


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: