Trip Start Jul 22, 2006
Trip End Aug 05, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Nova Scotia,
Sunday, July 30, 2006

On the way to Digby we passed by Keji...kejikejoo....kejikejumee...damn it!! Kejimkujik!! We spent the afternoon canoeing and fishing. It's only five something to enter the park for the day and $28 for a daily canoe rental. Wow, less than the price of a lobster dinner and a beer! We saw a deer come right to the water's edge and yet again Lil outfished me. That has got to stop!! We arrived at the Fund Complex in Digby. At first our room wasn't ready, but the management quickly took control and made things right. The room is amazing. Right now I am writing this on the balcony overlooking the bay after having eaten some lovely scallops. They were some good, eh! :) The only negative thing I can think of to say about the Fundy Complex is that we are only here for two nights. The place is far, far, beyond what we were expecting, especially for the price.

Tomorrow we will head to Briar Island for some whale watching. Let's just hope that it's better than the whale watching in Lunenburg. Guess it can't be worse.

The whale watching on Briar Island was amazing. We saw a bunch of humpback whales that were surfacing within meters from the boat. The staff were knowledgeable and provided a lot of information. They could even tell the individual whales apart, by name, by their tails. We passed two pods of dolphins and saw a number of seals. All this can be yours for less money than it cost in Lunenburg.....and you get whales, here!! Even the tour operator was not surprised by our Lunenburg adventure. The company we went with was called Briars Island Whale and Seabird Cruises. The biggest trick is to leave real early from Digby because if you don't time the ferries right you'll end up missing your tour. Aim to get there about an hour earlier than your departure time. The first ferry leaves to Long Island on the half-hour, and the one leaving to Briar Island leaves on the hour. If you make the first one, you have to drive like Hell all the way across the island to make the other ferry on time. If you miss it, you will have to wait an hour before you can cross again. Oh, and dress warm....real warm. It was cold on the water.

The whales were impressive. They were surfacing very close to the boat and we followed them for so long that there was no point in taking tones of pictures of their backs and blowholes, so you just had to wait a little bit and there they showed us the classic tail-out-of-water. So far, this was one of the best things of the trip.

Tonight will be another dinner at the nice Fundy Complex restaurant. Tomorrow, well, we'll have to drop by Sobey's before the long trek to Cape Breton, Ingonish.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: