Man Weekend

Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bookhamer Residence

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thursday, August 4th

Getting home yesterday evening I was able to get up early today and start getting everything ready for Man Weekend. Maybe I should preface this entry with a quick explanation of "Man Weekend."  Quite a few years ago, my Dad and a few other fishing buddies started doing a multiple day float trip down the Clarion river, where we would just fish and camp on the river for three days.  We did this for a few years with different participants different years.  As Bryant and Mike joined the family, they also joined the float trip.  Along with Bryant's Dad (Jimbo) and Alex's Dad (Rich).  As we are all of age, it became more of a fishing/drinking/camping/float trip.  Each year it seemed we dealt with a little rain, but we overcame that without many problems.  The last couple years we did the float, it seemed to pour the entire time.  The last time we went (approximately 4 years ago) it rained the whole 3 days, and on the last morning we woke up to no rain, but they let water out of the dam to anticipate for the water coming down river.  This left our boats 20 feet or more out of the water, and in knee high mud.  So after we drug the boats and all our gear through the mud and water to head home, a new solution was proposed.  Stay at my parents house and head out on day trips of floating, but have a DRY house to stay in at night.  And hence MAN WEEKEND was born.  Now evolved into a float trip Friday, horseshoes, horseshoe tournament, washers, drinking, and eating a manly feast. Man Weekend brings friends and family from everywhere to enjoy each others company and just to have a great time. Now back to my day: 

Jordan is spending some time with Nana, so her and mom helped me out with some of the chores I had to do.  So I finished stacking the wood out back for Dad, fixed a table, did some grocery shopping, and other miscellaneous things around the house, until Dad got home from work.
Soon enough Julie arrived with Laina and we had some dinner.  I drove the RV out to the campsite with Jordan as my co-pilot.  Nana, Julie and Laina drove separately so I had a car to get back with.  The women of the family were all camping out near Raystown Lake for the weekend, so the boys could have the house to themselves.  I drove home and picked up Dad and we went out and picked up the remaining supplies needed and then headed home.  I'm sure we got some more stuff together, I just don't remember what.  We got kayaks and a trailer, and a kegerator, and then hunkered down for a good time. 

Soon enough Phil (my father in law), Phil (my brother in law from now on referred to as Stryker), and Jen arrived and then a few minutes behind them were Jenny and Bryant.  Jen and Jenny packed up and headed on their way to the Lake, while the guys drank some "white lightning" and hung out for the night.  Tomorrow we get up and have a manly breakfast before a day of kayaking and horseshoes.

Friday, August 5th

We got up and had our manly breakfast which def included pork roll and scrapple and who knows what else.  Jimbo soon rolled in with George in tow, and the most important addition - beer. haha.  Soon after he arrived we loaded up the trailers and truck and packed up and headed out to the river.  We had a pretty easy day of kayaking on the Juniata River from the power dam down to the 4th street bridge.  Phil was the only one to tip over (twice) without someone pushing him in. The rapids around the island proved to be interesting as everyone made it through pretty well, except George who had to rely on Bryant to save him. 

We got home and everyone got loose playing some shoes and getting some pop up tents set up as it is to rain tomorrow (this is exactly why we are at the house now).

The rest of the guys show up throughout the evening and catch up on their beers and horseshoe throwing. Who knows what time we ended up shutting off the lights and heading inside, but it was a good night.

Saturday, August 6th

Let the feasting begin.  Jimbo got up earlier than most to get the pork butts on the smoker.  Then dad and Alex began getting the Turkeys seasoned/injected and ready for deep frying. I got the venison loin injected and ready for deep frying as well.  Stryker and Vic worked on cutting up Potatoes for home made french fries, while Phil and Jimbo sat in the rockers and husked corn. Bryant and some guys went out to get appropriate attire for man weekend (cut off denim shorts and sleeveless denim shirt). To complete the appropriate outfit one must also sport a sweet mustache.

The horseshoe tournament started around 3 which was double elimination. Everyone is randomly paired with their partner.  The turnout of guys was less than expected, probably due to the fact it was raining. But the rest of us manned-up and stood under the pop up tents to keep dry, haha.

Congratulations to Eric Dudley and Mike Potter for winning this years horseshoe tournament. Next was washers, where Krieger and his partner managed to pretty much win the tournament by letting everyone else lose.  It's confusing, but so is washers.

Again a good day/night and we eventually trickled to bed. 

Sunday, August 7th

In the middle of the night I was awoken by my dad having bad leg cramps.  I helped to stretch his leg but it really didn't help much. Soon after he passed out, he came back too pretty quickly but wasn't feeling good at all.  He passed out again, so I called an ambulance to get him to the hospital to make sure everything was okay  It was a scary to see that happen, but it was great to see him okay at the hospital.  I felt better pretty quickly after the ambulance got there, because he was talking to the paramedics fine and was actually quite humorous. So we woke up the whole house early with the commotion, but most of the guys had no problem getting back to sleep.   I do have to say all weekend the guys at man weekend were a great help, working together to get all the food together, games running, helping to have a good time overall, oh and also to flag down the ambulance. 

Mom and Jenny met me at the hospital so we all took Dad home.  Dad was fine, most likely it was dehydration and exhaustion. So needless to say Dad didn't have to do much clean up from Man Weekend (we think that was his plan all along).  Since some of the ladies were back/crashing they kindly made the rest of us french toast.  Most of the guys headed out that morning, and the rest of the ladies returned from the lake late in the morning.  Jody, Alex, Jenny, Bryant, Jen, Mom and I cleaned the remaining stuff up and returned all the borrowed kayaks and tents. All in all, it was a great weekend with some great camaraderie.  Can't wait until next years man weekend.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: