San Diego

Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Colleen (Rocks) and Matt Slotman's House

Flag of United States  , California
Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday, May 1st

We finally got to San Diego around 6:30pm. After checking out Matt and Colleen's house, having a fantastic mojito made by Colleen, we decided to take a walk to find a place to eat some dinner. Their house is about 3 blocks from the ocean so we decided to walk down towards the beach and walk along the beach path. 

The first place we came to was really hopping with super loud music. We were all like I thought it was Sunday night. We thought about hanging out there but it wasn't really a good place to eat.  Colleen was like people go out every night here and it really depends on what the crowd is like for how the bars will be. We next decided to try to hit up the bar right next door, but they were having a private party. After that we decided to walk over to the Pacific Beach Bar and Grill. We were able to get a table outside here and have some dinner and drinks. They also had the Phillies game playing so we got to watch that. At some point we noticed on the TV screens that they were announcing that Osama Bin Laden had been shot. So in years to come when people talk about it we can say that we were at the PB Bar and Grill.

After dinner we decided to play some beer pong at the bar. They had a couple of tables set up for it. I was wearing my I <3 beer pong shirt so we were destined to play. Rocks and Matt killed us though. We played about 3 games and were playing with Stone IPA (this was not a good choice since it made us all super full).  After finishing up beer pong we headed home.

Monday, May 2nd

We didn't do to much today. We slept in and then decided to take Nash on a long walk to check out the area. We headed down to the beach and hung out on a bench over looking the ocean for a while. Then we just continued walking around checking out the area. We walked down to Mission Bay to see the bay and then we headed back towards the house. On the way back we decided to stop at Ez-J's Sandwiches for a late lunch. We both really enjoyed our sandwiches, they had tons of stuff on them. And then we headed back to the house.

We decided to put on our bathing suits and hang out in the yard in the sun for a while. When Matt got home him and Jared played some ladder ball. When Rocks got home we decided to go to PB Sushi for some sushi and $1 sake bombs. I have some pictures of our half eaten rolls and our sake bombs all set up. It was definitely a great meal and a great time. The limit on $1 sake bombs is 10 so we of course decided to hit the limit. We weren't planning on at first, but our waitress was persuasive and we messed up some of them (by the sake falling in before we were all ready) causing us to have to do another to make up for the mess up. It was definitely a good night.

Tuesday, May 3rd

We slept in again today and then decided to go on a bike ride to La Jolla Cove. It was a little bit over 4 miles to get there. When we got there we rode around some checking out the different views and stopped to see the seals hanging out on a rock. There were a bunch of them. Then we decided that we were hot so we should go down to the beach to cool off and relax. The water was freezing so all I had to do to cool off was just stand in it briefly. Jared decided that he needed to go all the way in to get the true affect. My feet were hurting from the cold just standing in. He wasn't in for to long though he basically just dove in to get his whole body wet and then came right out. It was definitely a hot day though. We got real toasty laying on the beach. I had my Literati with me and was loving reading my book on it. We had to go down to stand in the water a couple of more times to cool off, but then we decided to  head out.  We made the bike ride back to the house and got cleaned up.

Rocks had a gala for work tonight and Matt had class so we were on our own for dinner. We decided to stay in and just cook for ourselves. After dinner we just hung out and watched Kill Bill.  It was a nice relaxing night.

Wednesday, May 4th

Rocks had off from work today so we were able to hang out with her all day. Rocks coaches a high school lacrosse team and she was hosting a pasta dinner for her girls after practice tonight. So we spent most of the day getting the stuff together for the dinner and then we hung out in the yard to soak up the sun. Rocks' assistant coach Kelly came over to hang out with us for a little bit and then I headed to practice with the two of them.

It was lots of fun to be on a lacrosse field again. Rocks and Kelly are both good coaches and they let me help out. Rocks told her girls that they were to listen to any input I had. I tried to keep quiet in the beginning but before long I couldn't help myself from getting involved. I made sure I didn't step on Rocks' or Kelly's toes, but I did add in some advice to the girls. I will definitely need to get myself a coaching job when we settle down. Kelly the assistant coach is actually moving out of San Diego so Rocks was like I have an assistant job opening up for next year. Who knows maybe we will move to San Diego. We will have to just wait and see.

The pasta party was also a surprise going away party for Kelly so Rocks, Kelly and I stopped to have a beer after practice to give the girls enough time to get to the house before us. Luckily Jared and Matt were making sure the food was hot and ready to go. They were a huge help and the pasta party was a success. After all the girls left we just cleaned up and hung out for the night.

Thursday, May 5th Happy Cinco De Mayo!!

Today we took the bus down to Old Town. It was a super cute area with lots of shops and restaurants. We spent most of the day just walking around and checking out the sites. There were a lot of people out for Cinco De Mayo. We decided to stop at one of the places that had some dancing going on the stage for the margarita. We got a super huge one to split. It just looked like so much fun so we had to get it. It was delicious but really when aren't margaritas delicious. HAHA

After hanging out for a while we talked to Matt and he said that he could give us a ride to Rocks' game. So we decided to take the bus back to the house so that we could eat some food and head out with him. We went to Rocks' game, which was intense. When we got there it was 1-1 and it was a battle the whole game. Rocks' team ended up losing though which did not make her a happy camper. She said that they totally should of won, but their turnovers killed them. I am sure she will be working them hard before playoffs start. They do have some really good players on the team. 

After getting home from the game we decided to have some margaritas and then we drove Rocks and Matt to the airport. They are flying out tonight to head East. They are going to Matt's 10 year high school reunion this weekend. We are going to stay at the house this weekend and take care of Philip their cat.

I forgot to write about Philip the cat until now. Him and Nash were not very good friends when we first got here. It was really Philip who kept hissing and throwing paws at Nash. Nash really only barked back when he was backed in to a corner, but by now they are doing really well together. We are able to leave them alone when we head out and all is well. I think it just took Phil some time to get used to a dog in the house.

Friday, May 6th

We decided to do some driving in Rocks' BMW convertible today. It was awesome. We first headed to Cabrillo National Monument to check it out. It is part of the National Parks so we were able to get in for free with our pass. We basically just walked around checking out the sites.  There was a light house that we were able to go in but we couldn't go all the way up though. After that we drove to Coronado which was a cute beach town south of where we are staying. We were going to get out and walk around but we decided to just do a drive by since we wouldn't be buying anything in the shops anyway.

After leaving Coronado we headed to the Gaslamp Quarter.  We parked and got out to walk around here. It reminded us some of old city with all the bars, restaurants, and shops around. We walked around for a while just checking it out and then headed to the Hopping Pig to grab a late lunch. We split a grilled veggie plate and then each had a burger. They were tasty burgers. Mine had bleu cheese and bacon on it while Jared's was a spicy jalapeno one.

When we finished up lunch we headed back towards the house and stopped for a case of beer. We decided that we were going to have a lord of the rings marathon and do our laundry. We have lots to do so it will be a busy night.

Saturday, May 7th

Today we decided to head to the Torrey Pines State Reserve today for some hiking.  There are a bunch of different hiking trails and we decided to combine some of them. It was chilly in the morning, but ended up being a really nice day. We had a great time just hiking around and taking in the sites.

After we finished up hiking we headed back to the car to eat some apples and then head on to Kohl's.  We had to return my Literati. It would turn on but not move past the start up screen.  I was able to return it with no problem, but they didn't have any in stock so now I am without an e-reader again. I will have to try to buy another one some where else along the way. After finishing up that errand we headed to the grocery store. We decided to buy some nice steaks and corn on the cob to grill up for dinner.

After we got home we watched some movies and had a fantastic dinner. Jared grilled the steaks to perfections.

Sunday, May 8th

We are heading out from San Diego tomorrow morning so we decided to clean up and pack up today.  We spent most of the day taking care of that and making some strombolis for dinner. Once we got done all of our chores we just relaxed and played some games. Rocks and Matt were supposed to get in around 7pm, but there plane is delayed so now they won't be in until 12:45am. We are just playing some games and waiting to pick them up.

Tomorrow we are heading to Temecula for some wine tasting and a couple different wineries and then we are going to head on to Los Angeles.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Leanne on

Ahhh I was about a month and a half behind and finally caught up. Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. It's awesome that you're able to catch up with friends and family. I feel like I talk to you all the time just by reading your blogs, love it!
Have fun!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: