Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , New Mexico
Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday, April 18th

This morning when we woke up Nash had taken his bandage off in the middle of the night. Since he hasn't bothered it until now we figured this might be a sign that he is ready to go with out it. We check out his paw and it all looks good so we will see how it goes.

Today we headed to the Camping World in Albuquerque before going to our campground. We were able to get mostly everything that we needed to fix the door and a new light cover for one of our lights up top that had broken off. The only thing we didn't buy was a sealant to fill in the little whole in the door. They only had huge containers of it and we didn't need that much so we are going to hit up a hardware store that has more variety. 

After leaving Camping World we drove through Albuquerque to check out the city and decide what we want to do tomorrow when they get here. It is a cool little city and looked very clean. We will check it out more tomorrow after we pick them up from the airport.

Once we got to the campground and our site we got hooked up and then started to clean. Jared fixed the door so the hydraulic thing is back on and it is working great. We got the place all cleaned up and ready to go. It is looking great. We took Nash to the dog run in the campground today and Jared ran around and played with him. He didn't lift his paw up at all like it was bothering him so I think he is all good. After cleaning all day we had an easy dinner of leftovers and listened to the Phillies. Then we watched a movie and went to bed.

Tuesday, April 19th

We slept in this morning since their plane doesn't get in until around 1pm. When we got up we had some breakfast and played some games to wait until their arrival. There plane got in like 5 minutes early and we picked them up with ease. It was a little worrisome at first because the clearance was only 9 ft where they were standing for us to get them, but we were able to go in where the shuttle buses go and still get them fine. I had a cascarones (it is an egg shell full of confetti) from Festival at San Antonio. After giving each of them a hug I yelled to Shannon "He is alive!!" and Shannon replied “It is true!!” and then I cracked the cascarones on her head. It was fantastic.

Apparently Mom, Dad and Shannon didn't have such a leisurely day.  They of course, where up at 5:30 to get to the airport to catch their plane.  Kristen and Peter drove them and it seemed that everything was going well.  Once it was their turn to board the plane, Mom decided to take it upon herself to help Shannon onto the plane, and picked up her orange soda to put it in her purse. (I know, who drinks orange soda that early in the morning?)  Well all was well and fine until about of the way down the hall to the plane when a man two places behind Mom and Shannon said “excuse me Ma’am, but do you know your purse is leaking?”  Apparently Shannon hadn’t shut the lid to the orange soda all the way, and most of it emptied into Mom’s purse.  Which if anyone knows Mom’s purse means that many a thing were ruined: The boarding passes for the next flight, the information for return home, Dad’s cell phone, Mom’s daily planner (her life).  It was not a pretty scene. 

Everything seemed to be better once they landed in Albuquerque, the sun was out, the skies were blue, and as I said before we had a fantastic moment with the cascarones.  However, we got all the way back to the KOA we were staying in and disaster struck again.  After deciding what to do for the rest of the day Shannon asked Dad to get her wallet out of the leather coat he’d been holding off the plane, quickly Dad realized he’d left both the leather jacket (the mystery of this leather jacket will be explained later) and his Drexel Lacrosse fleece on the bench outside of the airport.  Well that changed our plans.  Quickly we raced back to the airport, for Shannon’s wallet not only contained her Id to get her back to Philly, but also her money, bank cards, and everything under the sun.  Luckily someone turned the jackets in fairly quickly because once we packed everything back up and ran back to the airport, we retrieved them and everything was accounted for.  Both of these incidents involve Shannon but she is not to blame for either.  Dad takes full responsibility to forgetting the jackets, but Mom is less open to admitting her own guilt or involvement in the soda incident.  Nevertheless, it’s only bound to get better from here. 

After returning to the KOA a second time, we decided to set out towards Old Town Albuquerque.  This is an area of old shops and restaurants that seemed pretty exciting.  There was also a rattle snake museum that we wanted to look into.  I originally thought that the museum would consist of a bunch of dead snakes or bones or something like that, but instead it was more like the reptile house at the Philadelphia zoo with a lot of cool snakes in there.  There was one that was all white and Shannon thinks it would have made a beautiful pair of white high heels, but we didn’t talk about that too loud because we were afraid Shannon would either get kicked out, or bitten by a poisonous snake.  After the museum we went to a little restaurant in the square and had margaritas and chips and salsa.  The salsa was made fresh daily and it was really good, just a little hot.  We then moved on to another bar that from the outside looked like it would be a hole in the wall.  It was not.   It was so nice that they had a policy on not excepting IDs that were vertical and Shannon couldn’t get a beer.  Of course we drank anyway.

After we left Old Town we took the bus back towards the University of New Mexico because there were a bunch of restaurants in the area.  Dad had his heart set on eating at this place called Kelly’s which looked like an old gas station when we drove by it the first time.  We got off the bus way to early and ended up walking a while towards the restaurant, but trust me it was worth it.  Not only was the food good and the atmosphere inviting, they were having a special on wine that night.  Any bottle on the menu for $10, and if you didn’t finish it they’d put it in a “special” to go bag for the road.  We sat outside to eat and read the history of the place on the menu, apparently it was started as the Jones Motor Company, a Ford dealership and service station.   When we ordered drinks, Coors Light for Mom and a bottle of red and a bottle of white for the table, everyone was carded including Mom and Dad which made their night.  The troubles of the day were soon forgotten and we enjoyed the rest of the evening before heading back to the RV and going to bed. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: