Pedernales Falls State Park

Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Pedernales Falls State Park

Flag of United States  , Texas
Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday, April 10th

After we got to our site and set up we hiked down to the river and Jared and Nash did some swimming. We then headed back to our campsite to grill up some chicken for dinner.  We bought bone in chicken that had seasonings on it already, it was delicious. It was a pack of four so I already can't wait till we grill up the other two. Then after dinner we took a bike ride to the falls to see how far away they were and if we could do the ride in the morning with fishing equipment. It was a pretty strenuous ride with lots of ups and downs that were really steep, so we decided that it would be hard to do with fishing equipment the next morning.  It was cool to check out the falls at night though. It was really dark on our way home, but luckily we do have lights for our bikes.

Monday, April 11th

Today we decided to spend the whole day at Pedernales Falls State Park and kind of have a relaxing day. We slept in some and then got up, had breakfast, and heading to the falls to do some fishing. When we checked in the lady at the desk said that the Cypress Pool by the falls was a good area to fish in, so we headed there. We fished for a long time and moved around to different locations.  Unfortunately we didn’t catch any fish. We could see fish in the water but they just weren’t biting. It was a nice relaxing time though. After we finished up fishing we headed back to our camp site for a late lunch (it was like 4pm). After lunch Jared and I went for a bike ride on a trail though the woods. It was only about 2.5 miles long but it was a really good workout. The entire trail felt like an uphill climb until the very end when we were heading back out. Good thing we bought mountain bikes because there were tons of rocks and root in the trail. After finishing up on the trail we decided to swim some since we were both really hot so we found a nice big rock in the river that we could hang out on and swim around. After cooling off we headed back to get Nash and go on a scenic walk with him. It was a natural trail that was about a of a mile long and had a scenic overlook in it.  The trail took us down through the woods to the scenic overlook, but unfortunately when we got down to it the scenic overlook was closed because it was under construction.  Jared climbed down under the platform to take some pictures, but Nash and I just had to wait for him. When we got out of the woods Jared noticed that Nash was limping some.  We stopped to check out his paw to make sure nothing was stuck in it and realized that some parts of the pads on his paw were torn. We aren’t really sure when it happened.  He seemed to be ok all day while we were fishing, but there were a lot rocks to walk on in the nature trail. Jared said that he thought he noticed Nash limp though before we got on the trail but then he seemed fine on the trail the whole time. So it could have been when he jumped out of the RV onto some gravel. Anyway we aren’t really sure, but Jared felt bad making him walk on it so Jared carried him the whole way back from the end of the trail to our campsite.  It was basically on the other side of the campground so Jared got a good work out.  Nash didn’t seem to mind being carried though.

When we got back to the campground we called Shannon to get some medical advice. Yes I know what you are thinking Shannon is an Athletic Trainer not a Vet, but we didn’t have any service to look up anything online and we figured that could be treated pretty much the same way as if a human had a cut on their skin. Our main concern was that the way his pad was torn there was a flap of it like a flap of skin and we didn’t know if we should cut the flap off or keep it on to try to have it heal back on.  Shannon said that for a person if there is a flap of skin and it isn’t discolored that she would put the Neosporin on under the flap and put the flap back down then bandage up the area. So that is what we did. We cleaned out the cuts really good first, dried them, then put Neosporin on, put the flap back in place, and bandaged him up. He doesn’t seem to mind the bandage too much. He has licked at it a little bit but he isn’t trying to get it off so hopefully it will heal pretty quickly.

After taking care of Nash we decided to eat a light dinner of soup since we had such a late lunch, get cleaned up and go to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: