Key West

Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Florida
Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday, March 20th

After dropping Nash off to be boarded we drove around Key West to get a feel for the island. We wanted to get a picture of the RV by the southernmost point in the US, but the road was really small and crowded. We decided we would go back later and just get us in a picture.  We pulled up at the Sheraton and let Joe out to see if we could check in early. We had no luck with that but we were able to leave the RV there in the parking lot. We decided to park it and then head out on foot.  It was a gorgeous day and we first walked over to the beach across from our hotel and then down to Duval Street. During our walk Kate's cousin Karen and her husband Harry called us to say that they were done playing golf and did we want to meet up for drinks. So we headed to Willie T's on Duval street to meet up. We hung out there for a while, listened to the live music, and drank some margaritas. We decided to head back to the Sheraton to get showers and then head back down to Duval for dinner. We ended up eating at Margaritaville.  After dinner we were all stuffed to the brim so we decided to call it a night.

Monday, March 21st

It was so great to sleep in today and not be in a rush to get moving. Kate and Joe went on a fishing trip with Karen and Harry, so Jared and I were on our own today. We decided to have a relaxing day and head to the beach. It was a little cloudy when we first got to the beach but it cleared up and was a gorgeous day. We were there until about 2pm or so.  We then decided to go back to the room, eat some lunch, and then head out for a bike ride. We rode to the southernmost point to get some pictures of us. We then rode over to the lighthouse, which was just closing so we couldn't go up in it. Joe then called and said that they were heading back to the hotel to have some drinks at the hotel bar. We rode around a little bit longer, but then headed back to meet up with them. We hung out at the hotel bar for like two drinks and then all decided to get showers and get ready for dinner. Joe caught a nice size cobia on their fishing trip, which they had filet and ready for us to eat for dinner. We made a reservation at Seven Fishes, but couldn't get in until 9:20pm. So once we were ready we headed to Karen and Harry's hotel the La Concha for drinks before dinner. When we got to Seven Fish they suggested that they do the cobia in a light dijon sauce then grill it and serve over roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes with a side of mango chutney. Since I don't really eat fish I order the chicken and shrimp skewers and everyone else had Joe's fish. I had a taste of Jared's and it was actually really good. We didn't bring the entire fish with us so we are going to grill up more this weekend while we are in Clearwater. I will probably eat more then because it wasn't a very fishy fish. Again after dinner we were all stuffed so we called it a night again.

Tuesday, March 22nd

Today we hung out by our hotel pool and set up to take the 3:30pm shuttle down to Duval Street. We originally decided to do somewhat of a bar tour and started at Pat Croce's Rum Barrel for some drinks and apps (we were all pretty hungry). I bought a pretty sweet Phillies t-shirt at the bar.  I am sure I will have pictures in it when we are in Clearwater. Then we headed to Kelly's and since it was happy hour with some pretty sweet deals we stayed for all of happy hour. The group were all drinking super margaritas, but I was drinking a microbrew Key West Golden Ale.  Kelly's was a pretty cool spot. The actual location was the birthplace of Pan American Airlines and the first tickets were sold out of the building. After that we headed to Karen and Harry's hotel to catch the sunset from the top of the hotel.  Then we decided to head on to Blue Heaven for dinner. We had an hour wait so we hung out at the bar there. Jared was pretty tuned up and chatting with everyone at the bar. One couple suggested we go to the Porch after we were done dinner. We all had a great meal and then headed to the Porch for some more drinks. They were a pretty cool bar in side a big old house. The rest of the house is broken in to apartments, but it used two big rooms as the bar area and then the wrap around porch out front.  Jared said the bar reminded him of my old apartment in Drexel and like the main bar was set up in Liz's room. It was like that so it was pretty cool. The boys left us on the porch and walked over to check out a cool balcony on the bar across the street. When they came back they told us how on the walk up to the balcony they realized it probably wasn't really a place they wanted to hang out. There was a sign that said clothing optional for the balcony and when they got up there it was all older people. Luckily they didn't see much naked bodies just some shirtless guys. After they got back we decided that we were all done for the night.

Wednesday, March 23rd

Today Kate and Joe decided to rent bikes and we went for a bike ride for most of the day. We had a really great time exploring the island at a leisurely pace. Then Harry called and said that he would take us up in his airplane for a view of the island. The plane isn't that big so we had to go up in two trips. He took up Joe and Kate first and then Jared and me. When Joe and Kate were up Joe rode co-pilot and got to drive a little bit. Then I let Jared be the co-pilot when we went up (although I did really want to fly the plane I was a little nervous HAHA), so Jared got to fly the plane. I tried to get some pictures of him flying and I have one that you can see his hand on the yoke some. I was sitting behind Jared in the plane so I was just holding the camera out to the side to snap some pictures. I took tons of shots from the sky.

After we got done flying we headed back to our room to get showered up. Joe had scheduled a sunset booze cruise for us. The 5:30pm schedule was all full so we had to get a cab. We called and they said it would be 5 to 10 minutes. So we went outside to wait and it took forever. We were supposed to be at the boat by 6pm. They called the cab company again and they said it would be another 10 or 15 minutes. Joe was like we don't have time for that we need to be there by 6 and luckily they were able to send one right over. We made it just after 6. The cruise was tons of fun. We got to see the sunset while out on the water. It was gorgeous.  After the cruise was over we ate dinner at the Conch Republic Seafood Company. After dinner we headed over to Willie T's to finish our night.

Thursday, March 24th

Today we are just packing up and heading out of Key West. We will be dropping Kate off at the Fort Lauderdale airport for her plane and then heading on to Clearwater for the Phillies Spring Training.

We had a fantastic time in Key West and loved every minute of it. It is definitely a place we would visit again.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: