Making Our Way to Key West

Trip Start Jan 06, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sugarloaf Key KOA

Flag of United States  , Florida
Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday, March 19th

Joe and Kate got in to the airport around 10am and we headed over to pick them up. After leaving the airport we headed to the Everglades to walk some trails and check out the wildlife. The boardwalk we ended up walking on had tons of gators around it, huge turtles and lots of different birds. We had a great time just seeing all the different animals and basking in the sun. When we left the Everglades we stopped at Robert is Here for delicious fruit smoothies. I got a strawberry banana one, it was fantastic. We also picked up some fruit so that we would have it for the week. The next stop on our drive down was the World Wide Sportsman store on Islamorada Key. This store was huge and filled with tons of fishing supplies. They also had a really awesome bar and deck eating out back. We just wondered around for a while checking everything out. Next we stopped at Robbie's Marina to feed the tarpons. Basically they sell you a bucket of fish to feed the tarpons with. It was totally awesome to do. You have to lay down on the deck and hang over the edge to get close to the tarpon and they break through the top of the water to grab the fish from you. You have to be careful that a sneaky pelican doesn't swoop in and steal the food. It was tons of fun though.

We got to the campground around 7ish and checked in. The campground was packed and full of people outside hanging out. There was tons of music playing from different sites. It was really cool to be able to just hang outside. We grilled up some chicken, venison, pineapple, and potatoes for dinner. Jared made a fire so we could make some smores for dessert and we had a great time just chatting and hanging out.

Sunday, March 20th

Today we were driving the rest of the way to Key West, which was only like another half hour drive. So we got up made some eggs and bacon for breakfast, packed up camp and headed out. When we got on Key West we headed to where we are boarding Nash until Thursday. The place was located in a strip of stores so we were a little iffy when we pulled up, but once we got inside it seemed like a really nice place. I had read reviews before we booked it and they had all really good ones. Nash didn't mind being taken away by one of the workers and they said he seemed like he had some energy (he gets excited in new places) so they took him right out back so he could run around and play. We are totally lucky that Nash is pretty laid back and willing to go with the flow.  After dropping Nash off we drove around the island some to check out the layout and then headed to the Sheraton where we are staying until Thursday.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Leanne on

I'm so happy that I can stalk you through your blog. I love that I'm at work right now and enjoying your travels instead of doing work :)

Glad you're having a blast!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: