Water falling

Trip Start Feb 14, 2011
Trip End May 05, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
passing through

Flag of Brazil  , State of Parana,
Thursday, February 24, 2011

Arrived somewhere in the morning in Iguacu. It was a small busstation in the middle of what appeared to be an industrial town. Someone informed me that once the dam between brazil and paraguay was set up the town grew rappidly to over 100.000 inhabitants. The busstation appeared to be in the middle of nowhere though. I walked around aimlessly for a while trying to find out how to get to the falls. Finally found a helpful person at a small information office who was able to direct me to the correct bus. On my way there I was following a couple wich I seemed to have seen on the omnibus as well. Decided to talk to them, turned out they came from Paris. The girl had some family in Sao Paulo and they were taking a short excursion to the waterfalls. We agreed to visit the brazilian side of the waterfalls.

It cost us 37 reies to take the bus to the waterfalls. Along the way you could stop at several places to go on wild adventures like kayaking, jungle trekking and others. Price not included in ticket of course. We made our way to the end and ended up at a nice hotel in red stone. The walk started from there and it took about 2 hours to complete. The waterfalls were quite nice but by far the most entertaining part of this visit was the local wildlife. There was some sort of beaver present that without shame would walk up to tourist and attempt to steal food from their plastic bags. They werent really agressive though. The end of the walk gaves us what is said to be the most panoramic view of the waterfalls from either side of the border. I was not really all that impressed but took pictures anyway.

Once we had finished the falls we decided to make our way to the Brazilian side. This involved us getting of the bus in the middle of nowhere in front of some hotel and take the bus in the other direction. We got of at the forementioned location as the bus assistant was kind enough to point out to us where exactly to get off. It's a good thing he was there since all the other indicators we had gotten were nowhere to be found. We crossed the road and waited on a partially destroyed metal bench, hanging only from a forth of its hinges. The first bus that came buy did not stop. This seemed to bring some concern for my french friends. I told them not to panic - it would all turn out to be ok. The second bus came 15 minutes later and picked us up. It all turned out ok. They were inforņed enough to know we had to get of at the brazilian side of the border to get our exit stamp so we exited the bus at that point. Met an english couple there and got talking after we got our stamp and waited for the next bus. Turned out they were in the same hostel as me. The French couple did not have a hostel yet so we invited them along to ours. Got on the bus wich got there 20 minutes later and we crossed the Argentinian border without much problems.

On to Puerto de Iguazu.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Philip on

nice !

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: