Goodbye To Beaches

Trip Start Jan 16, 2013
Trip End Aug 18, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Add Comment

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Southern Province,
Friday, February 1, 2013

Today was my last day on a Sri Lankan beach. I've spent the last few days loving the beach but unfortunately doing no sunbathing or swimming. I can't really take my top off as my chest looks so ridiculous but I am pretty much healed now! It's unlucky that I've healed just as I have to leave but I've still enjoyed it. I've had loads of time to assess the best restaurant on the beach and have established a nice daily routine. Its taken a while to get used to the cold showers but I worked out that if I get really hot by walking around outside then the shower is extremely refreshing. 

I've been keeping to my budget quite successfully. Yesterday I managed to get breakfast, lunch and dinner for a total of five pounds! Although, in my efforts to cut costs, I ordered a 'fresh fish' with rice and veg for only 300 rupees (1.50). I was very pleased with myself for such an intelligent piece of ordering. It turns out it was literally a fish plucked out of the ocean and put on a plate, no cooking whatsoever. Luckily they didn't have the size that I ordered so I was able to change my order. Not sure I would have been able to stomach raw fish. Apart from that little hiccup I have been loving the seafood here. It's fresh, delicious and cheap so a perfect combination really.

Tomorrow I'm flying to India so I'm heading back up the coast closer to the airport. A train journey or two should get me to a nearby city. I need to start taking my malaria tablets in preparation for India soon which apparently have quite a few side effects so I could run into a bit of trouble with them. I'm excited to test my ability to get to the airport without any difficulties; I'm much more confident in knowing how the system works now.  

Report as Spam
Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: