APril 8 - New Orleans (2 days worth)

Trip Start Mar 14, 2000
Trip End Apr 30, 2000

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Louisiana
Saturday, April 8, 2000


And then there was Houston to New Orleans, stopping at Hicksville and every other little town with a haystack and a guy in a cowboy hat chewing gum on the side of the road. I got talking to a lady on her way to a 30-year high school reunion who had lived in New Zealand for a year or so.

And so, after about 26 hours, we got into New Orleans. I caught a taxi driven by a very relaxed, almost to the point of being unconscious, guy to the Marquette Youth Hostel. It is a bit away from the action, but fairly accessible to town.

There were some Aussie guys there so I got talking to them and they were going into town in the evening and I invited myself along. We caught the tram into town and walked down Bourbon Street, the main drag for pubs, clubs, music etc. One of the girls who was with us knew someone at one of the bars, called the Bourbon Street Blues Company. The name is a bit of a misnomer as it was all dancy-pop music there. But they had three-for-the-price-of-one drinks so we got stuck into those fairly rapidly. There was a balcony at this place, as there is at most of the bars along Bourbon Street, and you get a good view of the packed street below. One of the traditions in New Orleans is that the guys buy these beads for 50c and give them to girls who flash their breasts. I didn't see much of this going on but I was probably too drunk to notice anyway.

We staggered around a few nightclubs after this where the shooters and beers continued to flow. Somehow we all got split up and I was left with one of the guys, Kev. We sampled a bit more of the nightlife and got home somehow. Details are sketchy but I managed to spend about $120 in one evening.


The Aussie boys got up at about 1pm so we kicked around a bit, yarning about the previous night. I went out for a very welcome Subway sandwich, my first food since about 5pm the night before. Various people came in and out of the hostel during the day and we all spun a few yarns and generally took it pretty easy. I felt a bit guilty about not getting out and about in New Orleans but the heart of it is at night anyway.

When the Aussies got back we all went out for a meal. It wasn't real Cajun food as I had hoped but I had a cup of gumbo (mmm) and an okay BBQ cheeseburger. Half of them piked out for going out because they were getting up early the next day, but Grant, Brad, Paul and I went into town again. We started at the Bourbon Street Blues Company again, then walked down Bourbon Street a bit where we finally saw some girls earning their beads. It got a bit out of hand, though, when a whole bunch of lairy lads (not including me) were surrounding some poor girl on the street and almost forcing her to 'give the crowd what they wanted'.

Like last night there was a lot of drinking going on and the night rapidly deteriorated after a point. I don't want to post the details publicly but many readers will know what happened around about here anyway. Suffice to say, there was a drunken brawl involving a bunch of Australians and local entertainers.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: