And so it begins - Michael

Trip Start May 02, 2012
Trip End Jul 09, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Helmut and Conny's

Flag of Germany  , North Rhine-Westphalia,
Saturday, May 5, 2012

Alright let me breeze you through the rest of the airport stories so I can get to the fun stuff. We barely slept in Dallas because the time change made our flight leave 4 hours after we got to the airport, so we got a good two hour nap in. Then we flew to Newark Airport in New Jersey. I'd like to confirm everyone's thoughts. New Jersey is a terrible place and their airport should be torn down. 6 Hour flight to London with complimentary alcohol, I'm not much of a wine drinker but I had about a quarter bottle. It's free, c'mon! Quick 30 minute wait and then we flew into Luxembourg.

Here's where the fun starts. I already here people speaking German so I'm smiling like an idiot who just won a potato growing contest. Once we get our luggage we see my aunt and uncle there to pick us up. Even though we're dead tired from lack of sleep since it was about 2 AM our time, I'm still excited to go to Trier and derp around. Well I had completely forgotten that we were gonna go see the grave of Patton. That was our first stop on this trip. Some of Patton's badassery was leaking through the grave so I guess they had to do some construction on the site. It was still incredible to see so many troops from WW2 buried there. Well after that we decided that we were in europe for far too long to be sober, so it was time to go to Germany.

We crossed the Luxembourgian (yup. silly, I know), border and went into Germany. First stop: Trier. It's the oldest city in Germany and has tons of shops and restaurants lining the walkway. We went to one of the restaurants there and Jake had his first taste of German beer. He ordered a small so they brought him our half a liter. Then he ordered two schnitzel while everyone else had one. That's about the time I realized Jake was probably gonna fail the physical fitness test we have to take when we get back. Then my aunt and uncle made us eat the rest of their schnitzel too, that's the time I realized I was going to fail that test along with Jake. So, since we figured our Air Force careers are over if the fitness test will be any indication, we went to get another beer. We walked over to where my aunt works and went to the lounge/bar on the roof of the building. The building itself is a department store, but what's a department store without a bar on the roof?! That's madness!

After beer #2 we went to see a wall in Trier that's over 3000 years old. It was built by the Roman Empire, when it still existed. We had gone almost a full 100 feet. Time for another drink. Since we'd already had a liter of beer by now I decided it was time to switch to Whiskey, I ordered whiskey neat because I'm classy like that. Jake had a Viez, it's some sort of wine and carbonated beverage mix. That was pretty good too. We took a few pictures of the wall and were pretty tired, or drunk. And decided to head to my Oma's house.

We took a few more pictures of the city before heading off to Kyllburgweiler to stay with my Oma. She already had the beds made and we wanted a quick nap before we ate dinner. So since it was 5 PM we decided it was probably a good time to nap for 15 solid hours. After our hibernation we woke up to a hearty german breakfast, rolls and coffee. Of course Oma wouldn't let us leave the table until we ate everything. EVERYTHING! So we ate all the things. Bread. Meat. Silverware. ALL GONE! Maybe not the silverware. But I was already feeling another food coma coming on after that. We went upstairs and repacked our things into the backpacks while leaving our suitcases there. Just getting everything ready for when we go to my other Aunt and Uncles house near Cologne. Well of course we couldn't leave without eating lunch. So. Much. Food. We had meat and beer (as any good germans would), again we wanted small glasses of beer so we got half a liter, and some potatoes with gravy. Then we made the foggy drive over to my aunt and uncles house. There we had coffee and cheese cake because everyone in this country is hell bent on making us entirely spherical so we can roll the 1.5 miles during the PFA (physical fitness assessment for all the non-air force people). Now we're on our way to buy some cat litter and food. Apparently "food" in Germany means a case of 24 beers and some vodka and orange juice for me. If I die here someone just take a match to my body because the high alcohol content will probably make cremation a lot easier.

Look for the next blog entry in the next few days. We'll have Wi-Fi here at my uncles house but won't update unless we have really cool stories or can make some up. So give us atleast a day or two. We're heading to some fireworks tonight and then Cologne for the next few days.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jenny Schaal on

You know Michael, you are actually pretty funny haha.

Brigitte Mandeville on

Hahaha...I can picture every single thing you describe in this post!! Thats my family!! Makes me wish I was there with them right now!!! I know, i know...I was just there a few weeks ago, but it was just so nice to be back in Germany !!! Looks like your fun has started!! ..have fun & enjoy every minute!!

Britne Clark on

Don't worry Michael. Still more than two months until field training and the PFA. I am sure you and Jake will be ready in no time. Oh, and congrats on your new position in Arnold Air.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: