Trip Start Jan 06, 2007
Trip End Mar 03, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Sunday, January 14, 2007

Fierce sunlight woke us all up at 9am, all a little worse for wear after last nights session. After getting in some breakfast and dining outside in the sun, we jammed the car full again and set off on the 117km drive to Milford Sound.

Once the mountains had encased us the view began to get more and more sublime. About half way we stopped to view the reflections of the mirrorlakes, a series of calm lakes/ponds that catch a perfect copy of the towering mountains in the fresh water.

Continuing the drive we past awesome vistas, Enormous valley views, numerous falls and also past through the Homer Tunnel, all whilst bopping to some funky house courtesy of Gar's Ipod.

A short ride from the tunnel was a detour to "The Chasm', which is a series of rocks smoothly eroded creating a beautiful chasm with powerful waterfalls cascading over moss bound rocks and ending in emerald green clear water pools. The water looked sooo inviting but cold nonetheless.

Next stop was Milford itself, then the pub where we had a game of darts, where I cleaned up. This was followed by a game of fooseball where I again cleaned up and then a game of pool where I got dealt to as usual..

Before long we had booked a cruise with Mitre Cruises on a smaller cool little boat, for a two hour cruise all the way down the fjord to the Tasman Sea. The Sound was at first quite choppy but at about mid point the weather really smoothed out. On the cruise we checked out Bowen Falls, Mitre Peak, Anita Bay and Stirling Falls as well as catching up with some of the local sea lions. On the way back form the cruise I sat at the back of the boat downstairs by myslef and just chilled right out soaking up all the views. The two hour cruise was the perfect amount of time and we all disembarked all pretty hyper.

After another victory in darts it was back in the car to hoon back through the Homer tunnel passing some cheeky Keas and pulling into a campsite just after the mirror Lakes. We set up amid panoramic view, rain and masses of sandflies that rapped us. Team Wales managed to get their tent swamped with about a hundred of the bastards, which Gar and Myself after covering the holes in the tent set upon massacring them all. We came out with a few war wounds but victory was ours.

After a quick bite to eat, courtesy of my new camp stove and a rubbish attempt at a campfire we all retreated to our tents to hide from the sandflies. We were up pretty early the next morning and before long in Te Anau again and then moving onwards to Queenstown.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: