Trip Start Mar 03, 2007
Trip End Apr 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Friday, April 6, 2007

Airlie Beach was the big boys trip we had been anticipating. It was the reason why I flew over here at the time that I did. Following on from recent form Mark, Mike and Myslef all managed to pretty much destroy ourselves over the weekend leading up to our 'holiday' and despite a day off yesterday we were all feeling a little under the weather. Actually, to be fair, we were all suffering big time! This was made worse by the fact that we had to endure a 20 minute car ride and an agonising 90 minute train ride before we even reached the airport.

After checking in and boarding our flight Mike and Myeslf managed to paratake in an alcoholic beverage before most of us passed out on route, only to be woke up when being instructed to restore tables and chairs to their upright postions and turn off all mobile equipment.

We disembarked the plane at the match box sized airport and the heat immediatley hit us compared to down on the Gold Coast. We jumped on a bus to drive us the 30 minutes into Airlie Beach, all pretty charged up for the weekahead. At Airlie we quickly found our hostel we had pre-booked. A massive place called Magnums, that was full of Cafe and Bars out the front where we figured most of our socialising would be happening over the next week.

The trip started to go down hill a bit once we discovered our supposed triple share room. The room could hardly fit us all in and there were only two beds, a single bunk and a double underneath, not much good for 3 blokes!! we pretty much vowed to look for a new place the next day, but because of the Easter Weekend that never eventuated as everywhere was full to the brim.

After scouting out the rest of the town and visiting the lagoon we decided it was time to get a fed, shower up and get on the juice. Snakebites being the choice of drink for the night and indeed the rest of the week for Mike and Myslef. After a big first night out Mark won Paper-Scissors-Rock for the top bunk which would become his downfall for the week. After sleeping with the aircon on all night he managed to get a massive chest infection which although he would make a vallant effort to go out drinking each night, it would in the end claim most of his holiday, turning it into a wheezing mess. mark even tried to get help from the chemist who in true airlie standards told him to "Harden Up".

Easter Friday turned out to be an absolute joke, as no alcohol could be served unless you were eating a meal in which you had a total of 3 hours to drink with your meal as long as you played your hand right. We had to get a meal ticket which had 3 stages on it that all had to be signed off at various stages. The first allowed you 1 hour to drink before your meal, if you went up to get you meal before that hour was over you lost the rest of that time to drink. After getting the poor excuse for a meal, you were then allowed another hour to drink. However as soon as you finished someone came and signed your tickedt again meaning you lost the rest of that hour. the trick was to just sit there with a full plate of food for the full hour which was pretty easy as the food wasn't worth eating anyway. After you finished your food you were then entiltled to another hours drinking after which time your not allowed any more alcohol unless you brought another food ticket! Anyway we had a few drinks during the day before waiting untill 9pm to get another meal ticket giving us 3 hours to drink untill midnight when all the bars opened. The whole day was a bit of a joke and a few of the staff at the hostle were being pretty anal about the whole day.

The last night we went pretty huge, Minus Mike who was still paying for his sins the night before and was in pretty bad shape. Mark and I got a couple bottles of Vodka and drank in the room before heading out for a few more drinks and then to Mama Africa for a final mad session.

We managed to check out of the hostel wishing the cleaners luck with our room as we left and trundled broken and battered to the airport where our plane was delayed. We all fell asleep on the floor of the airport when we were awoke by a loud anouncement for our flight.

So there wrapped up our little trip to Airlie Beach, that turned out to be less than as fantastic as we had planned. Take my advice and make sure you spend a few days out on the islands and beaches and then head in for a couple days of partying, that was our downfall.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: