Cape Town, Hout Bay and the Wedding

Trip Start Oct 26, 2009
Trip End Nov 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of South Africa  ,
Thursday, November 5, 2009

After a short flight we were landing in Cape Town. Lyall my mate who was getting married and the reason for the South African trip picked us up and took us on the scenic drive through Cape Town, over to the luxurious Camps Bay and along the cliff side drive finally onto his town of Hout Bay about 20 minutes drive from Cape town. The drive was stunning. Lyall later confessed to me he was a little nervous of me having my window down in the car as this s the home of car jacking.

We had barley dropped our bags off before we were hitting a couple of bars including the smallest bar in Africa.  Over the course of he next week more and more people would arrive for the wedding. Everyday the cries of "its such and such's first day we gotta go drinking" would be heard and with the terrible weather not doing us any favors we obliged.

We had the small matter of Lyalls Bucks party to attend on one of the days. A prison style bus with hardly any windows, a bar a dance floor and not enough booze onboard was hired and we all were required to wear our Hill Billy Shirts.  Needless to say were tore up the bus and the town.

The weather down in Cape Town would prove to be just as bad as when we were in Jo’berg but with the added addition of huge gusty winds. The locals all apologized about the weather as it was unusually bad most of our stay there. There were only really two opportunities to go up Table Mountain. I missed the first one when having spent an hour queuing for the cable car decided that after a huge night previously  I was in no shape or form to take the precarious ride to the top. I bailed last minute and caught a taxi home much to the amusement of the driver.  A few hours’ kip and I was back having beers at the guesthouse.

We had another spot of bad luck when the Shark Cage Diving we had arrange was cancelled due to the weather. I was so looking forward to this. Eventually some of the guys managed to rebook but it was on the day I flew back to Johannesburg. We later ran into them in Singapore Airport and they said it was an amazing experience. We also wanted to get to Robben Island the site of the prison where Nelson Mandela was held for so many years but again the weather was too rough.

The wedding itself was a disaster for me. I got hit really badly with food poisoning the night before (some detractors accusing me of Alcohol poisoning!) I had actually decided to go home early the night before the wedding so I could enjoy the day tomorrow but came down ill really badly. I was up for 16 hours in all sorts of trouble. The day of the wedding I was still very ill but managed to make it to the ceremony. I was glad I’d seen the ceremony as earlier I thought there was no way I was going to be able to attend. I had accommodation at the wedding venue and had to spend large chunks of the night in bed. It was such a disappointment, this was after all the reason I had traveled half way around the world for.  Really devastated but still proud of Lyall and Sarah. Congrats!

After the wedding I was feeling particularly down having missed a great part of the wedding I’d come for and wanted to make the most of my time exploring what I could in my last few days. I hired a car, an old-school VW that are common place on the roads here and made the trek back to the cable car a week after aborting my last visit.  The ride was swift and before long I was atop Table Mountain with an almost 360 degree view around the cape. I really was in awe up there.  The cold air up there took away most of my breath but the view finished me off.  The city of Cape Town was strewn below before the cliffs climbed along to Camps Bay. I spent an hour a top the mountain on a cloudless day before making my way back to Hout Bay to Pick up Steve.

From here we drove down the peninsula clinging along the Cliffside drive. We almost had a bad accident when a motorbike on the wrong side of the road came flying around a corner at us. We reached the Cape Point National Park  and had a drive around before we headed to the Cape itself. We parked the car up and started the step climb to the lighthouse. The wind known as the “Cape Doctor” was in full worse and gave us a thorough going over. At cliffs edge the wind was amazing and the view rugged but beautiful. The deep blue and teal sea crashed into the rock-face below creating a white scar that would be sucked back into the blue.    
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: