Day 5 - Wedding Bells!!

Trip Start Mar 20, 2011
Trip End Apr 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Taman Caliandra Villa

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Thursday, March 24, 2011

The morning of Janet and Dek's Wedding started of with a dip in the pool (of course) and then followed by a western breakfast. The boys and I then decided that we would head out to Dreamland Beach for a surf (the girls being part of the bridal party had to leave for the wedding villa early so couldn’t come).  We had three-four hours to kill.  Once we got there and headed out into the water we realised that the waves were far too big and strong that it was not safe to surf.  I was even having trouble standing upright in the whitewash! Ed and I spent most of the time in the waves being thrown around like socks in a tumble dryer, Rob wasn’t too keen but Ken had a bit of a paddle also.  When I think back it was pretty dangerous where we were swimming.  The undercurrent was so strong and there was so much driftwood and crap swirling around in the water.  At one stage I stood up, looked around and I swear a huge 4x2 floated past me! Imagine having that smack you in the small of the back or the back of your head! No thank you!

After getting a bit wet we all sat on our rented sun loungers taking in the view of the waves for about 10mins.  Someone (I can’t remember who) asked Ed what was around the corner (Ed used to live in Bali for a while in the same area). It was Bingin Beach.  Ed suggested we go over the hill and check it out.  So off we went.  In our bathers and jandels up over the hill and along the cliffs in the sweltering heat.  It was fun! Well, I thought so… once we got to the top of the hill I stopped and decided to empty the sand out of my bathers.  No lie, I came away with half the beach in my bathers!!  There was soooooo much! We then started walking along the cliff edge and the views were to die for.  I even found a hammock in the middle of the paddock where I of course posed for cheesy photos!! After a bit of exploring and navigating ourselves we finally came to the top of these stairs that took us down towards the beach.  These steps were surrounded by huts that the locals, surfers, backpackers etc stay in.  Ed recognised where we where and proceeded to take us down to the hut he stayed in and we went into this lil veranda area where he ordered us a nice bottle of coke each and we sat back in the cool sea breeze and took in the views.  We were still on the cliff face but close enough to the water that every now and again a big enough wave would come up and spray us with seawater.  It was so relaxing I could have very easily stayed for a long time.  But once a local lady came by trying to guilt us into buying her stuff we decided to head back up and to the villas.  By this stage it was 11.30am.  We had to be back at the villas to be picked up by our driver by 2pm and me being a girl wanted to be back at least an hour beforehand to get ready! So back up those stairs we went.  Grumble grumble grumble…

We go to the top into what looked like no mans land.  It looked like we were in the middle of a local village. Dogs roaming round, chickens and rosters scratching the dirt and locals happily saying Hello! We set foot onto the road as where we were now was nowhere near any taxis.  After about 10mins walking we still were not sure how far away the main road was, so Ed being fluent in Indonesian decided to ask a local. 1hour to walk to main road! No way! Ed asked if we could get a ride. Yes? The guy decides to go get his mate who could take us.  After waiting in a hut for about 10 mins we started joking about everyone being on Balinese time… 15mins later I noticed the old guy in the hut was smiling and lying on his back with a set of car keys on his hands! (lazy bastard), 20mins later we gave up and started walking again.  We passed more locals and with a bit of toing and froing asking and bargaining a price we finally found someone who was willing to take us to our villa at a reasonable price. AND it turned out we were only just around the corner!! Haha Oh well. By this stage we were short on time and needed to get back.

Showered and sand free (well kinda after two attempts at washing my hair it was still pretty sandy) we set of to the wedding villa.  This place was gorgeous.  It had the most breathtaking view and everything you imagine an island wedding should be. Fragrant frangipani’s were the brides flower of choice and these were found everywhere. White and even yellow ones! So pretty. The ceremony was very beautiful and the bride was absolutely stunning.  An island princess she was! Her bridesmaids were also very pretty. The ceremony was so beautiful and moving that I don’t think there was a dry eye in sight! After the ceremony the Balinese formalities were taken care of by the local government and then the Chinese tea ceremony where ken helped serve the tea. It was a small and intimate wedding which was perfect. Everyone knew one another and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Especially when all the formalities were over and the bride and groom invited all guests onto the pool! Yaaaaaaaaay! Most fun wedding ever! With the cocktails flowing and the strong rays of the sun slowing descending behind the horizon it truly was a beautiful day.  Seriously my words do the day no justice you really had to be there.  Hopefully the photos tell a better story.

Arohanui x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Bianca and Tim on

What a gorgeous wedding!! Sounds like you and Ken are having a ball. Stay safe and see you soon!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: