Last Day in Dublin & Getting to Germany!!

Trip Start Nov 20, 2010
Trip End Dec 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hans & Diane Rommel's House

Flag of Germany  , Baden-Württemberg,
Friday, June 17, 2011

 The 16th wasn't any more interesting than the 15th, we mostly just tried to work on the blog and watched tv in the common room at the hostel. We did go out for lunch though at a mongolian restaurant which is just like the Mongolian Express in Edmonton and it was delicious!

 In the evening we decided to go back to the bar to watch Dave Brown as he was suppose to be breaking the record this night. We were there a few hours before he was to break it though and after a beer went to grab a bite at a nearby cafe when he left for a forty minute break (I guess he was allowed five minutes every hour and got to accumulate them as he wanted to make longer breaks). When we got back though and he was about to be brought back on a lady announced that a guy had started the same record attempt just before Dave and had made it to 113 hours so instead of being done in and hour he still had 14 more hours to go! Crappy news for him, but we stayed and listened to him for a bit more in the absolutely PACKED bar before deciding we would have time to come back and watch him break the record in the morning before we had to go to the airport and left to get some sleep.

We got up in the morning and had breakfast before we left the hostel down the street to check out how Dave Brown was doing with the Guiness record. We got there with only about ten minutes left before he was to break the record and plenty of time before we had to leave for the airport. It was awesome being there for the last moments because his energy level lept from about half-dead to practically jumping up and down in excitement. He did a couple solo`s and it was amazing how good he was after playing straight for 113 hours!!!, just amazing!

Eventually we had to leave but later found out he had kept going for another hour or two, I guess the adrenaline rush kept him alive. We made our way to the airport and had no complications, which is always nice!

Once in Memmingen we found a bus that would take us to the train station, validated our Eurail passes and then got on the train to Nonnenhorn. We were very happy to be on our way to James`cousin`s place and to have a place to call home for awhile!

When we got there Hans and Diane were waiting for us at the station, which was a great surprise, and gave a us a ride to their place. After we dropped our bags of in our new room for the week they took us down to their plot of land by the lake just across the street from their house where Sylvia (Hans and Diane`s daughter) and Dieter and their two kids, Jaron and Amy, and a couple friends were waiting. We had a bbq and visited for a bit but then the rain started. There was a sail boat race happening out on the lake and we waited under there umbrella for a while to see all the sails but after only getting a cloudy view of a small portion of them we all decided it was time to get out of the rain and go back up to the houses (Sylvia and Dieter live just on the other side of the greenhouse that they all run from Hans and Diane`s house).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: