Hampton Court

Trip Start Nov 20, 2010
Trip End Dec 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Blue Skies

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, May 23, 2011

Before leaving our train station in the morning we had to top up our oyster cards because we had used more than we planned (damned expensive London transportation). We headed to Hampton Court Palace, the favourite home of Henry Vlll and his many wives. Our tour was going great, we were taking pictures, listening to our audio guide, and admiring the architecture. It was amazing to learn how much food the royal court ate, apparently the king's diet was 70% meat and some historians thought that he had scurvy due to lack of fruits and veggies. We were going through some section of the palace looking at pictures when all of a sudden the fire alarm started going off, but a lady who works there said everything was fine, stay put, nothing to worry about. So we kept on reading about some pictures while this damned alarm went off; well ten seconds later some other guy comes into the room and starts yelling at us to exit because obviously there is a fire alarm going off, common sense dictates that you leave when such an event occurs. That other woman must have been new. So they herded us all outside while they tried to turn the alarm off. My theory is that some little shit kid on a field trip opened a door they weren't suposed to or pulled a fire alarm, damn kids these days, no respect, haha.
Eventually they let us all back in, false alarm of course. We continued our tour of the massive palace. It seemed like a lot of the rooms we wanted to see or were more curious to learn about were either closed or had been removed when more recent kings remodelled the place. We were mostly interested in King Henry's story as Jackie read The Other Boleyn Sister and is now reading the rest of the books about King Henry and his wives.
When we were finally finished after hours at Hampton Palace our plan was to take the train once again into the city centre and go check out Westminster Abbey. We realized though when we were at the train station that it was 2pm and we read in our book that the Abbey closes on that day of the week at 3:45pm and the last tickets were sold an hour before that; we still had to take the train there which would take a half hour at least, not including the time we had to spend waiting for it to get there. We cancelled our plan and went back to the hostel to eat and have an afternoon nap before we went to find the Maple Leaf Pub to meet up with Nicole, a friend from Camrose who is living in London.
When we got to the pub we looked around for Nicole and then went to sit by the front so she would see us when she came in. After a half hour after we were suppose to meet we figured something came up and she couldn't make it (and we don't have a phone so she wouldn't have been able to get a hold of us). We decided to just order drinks and wings (it just so happened to be wing night!) and stay for a bit. A little bit after that though Nicole walked up to our table from within the bar, apparently she had been sitting in the back the whole time and we didn't see her! haha. We joined her and her friend Dan at the table and just visited and talked about each of our trips the whole time. It was awesome to finally see a face from back home!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: