A flaming good time...

Trip Start May 26, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  , Cebu City,
Friday, December 4, 2009

After getting off the boat & returning to our cute little hotel, we were shocked to receive a phone call stating there was a fire. Beth & I along with everyone else in the building were evacuated to find all the houses beside & behind us were alight. As they were timber houses the fire took off fast & the masses of fire trucks couldn't keep up. The fire started to hit the end of our hotel, damaging the brick wall & entering the rooms on the end. It was then that I turned to Beth & told her if we wanted the rest of our stuff then we needed to get it NOW! We ran back upstairs to our room & grabbed the rest of our things & took them a little further up the street this time, just incase.

I had been trying to call & text David to let him know what was going on, but I wasn't able to get thru to him at this point. So I knew we needed to get into their room & grab their stuff as well. The hotels security guard & the local police chief wouldn't let us leave our things outside unattended incase someone stole them, so I stayed with our bags while Beth & a fire officer went into David & Lucy's room to get what they could. Beth came back with 1 backpack, 1 daypack & a handbag. I started to panic! I flew into the Phlippines with them & I knew they had 2 backpacks & 2 daypacks at least. I had a quick check & knew we had their passports & the bag with all their memory cards, but Beth was sure there wasn't anymore bags in the room.

Eventually I heard back from David checking if the hotel was really on fire?!? I informed him it was, but luckily it was brick so wasn't going up in smoke quite as quick. So they were on their way in a taxi.

Just after this there was relief....I spotted one of the girls that worked in the hotel. I gave her a hug & checked that everyone was out & ok. She said yes everyone's fine but they worry about the damage & that she thought she had some of Miss Lucy's things. I looked down to see the rest of their bags.....RELIEF!!!

After the fire was brought under control (thank goodness for brick buildings) we went back inside briefly to check if there was anything else in our rooms before the owners of the hotel told us of another place they owned that we could go to for the rest of our stay. The new place (Alba Uno) was new & clean but didn't have the atmosphere & smiling faces like the Palazzo Pensionne. It was a great little place & I'll definitely stay there again if I ever make it back to Cebu.

The morning after all of this drama Beth & I still had a niggling cough & we began to realise exactly how quickly the smoke affects you. When we blew our noses...what came out was black! It was a little shocking, but we were fine.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: