Sitting with the giant buddha!

Trip Start May 26, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of International  ,
Saturday, November 21, 2009

After an uneventful flight from London I landed at Hong Kong International Airport & quickly made my way through customs went in search of the Hold Luggage service. I knew there was cheap lockers available but couldn't see them anywhere so I dumped it behind the counter & made my way to the bus station. I had around 12hours to kill before meeting up with Dave & Lucy to catch a flight to Cebu, Philippines.

I caught the next bus from the airport towards Tung Chung. Off the bus and a quick look at the shopping centre & then I was on my way up towards the queue for the Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car to the top of the island where there is a cute but pricey little tourist shopping village to explore, Po Lin Monastery & the giant bronze sitting buddha. If I'd had more time & energy I would have loved to walk the track from the bottom to the top of the hill. As the cable car passes over the track you can see people hiking their way up, it looked very relaxing if it were a nice day.

It was the buddha that brought me to this little part of Lantau Island for the day. We all love the buddha at least a little bit & this one is beautiful. It took me about 45mins waiting in line for a ticket on the cable car & once at the top I had a quick look thru the chinese tea shops, food stores & gift shops before making my way up the many stairs to sit with buddha. Now I did try counting the stairs on the way up, and again on the way back down. Sadly my numbers were far from the same so lets just say there were plenty of stairs to climb & I was amazed the number of oldies making the trek.

On the way back down in the cable car I got a great view of the aiport & could even see a few planes coming in to land. Pretty sure I would have been watching them around the same time Dave & Lucy's plane was due in.

A few hours later, I was exhausted after a sleepless flight & plenty of walking around the Ngong Ping Village that I was nearly passed out on a food hall bench when the text came thru from Dave to say they were on their way to meet me. We had another couple of hours to spare before I early morning flight to Cebu.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


David on

Two things

1) You had better weather than me up there
2) My name is David dear girl, not Dave !!!

jacinta81 on

See now I'll just do it even more to really annoy you ;)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: