Further adventures as a tour guide..

Trip Start Jan 03, 1976
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Saturday, April 16, 2005

Having never been to the Cotswolds I signed up to take a bus load of tourists on a day trip which goes via three Cotswolds villages.

The first of them, Burford, was to be a quick stop, about an hour, because it's a small town and there's so much to see. About ten minutes drive out of Burford the coach stopped. The Coach driver got out and part of the bus was a little way down the road. Hmm. I had been in the middle of my spiel about Burford and checked my notes, hmm, nothing about a stop. We hopped off the bus for a secret summit (away from the passengers) and wondered what to do.. a public bus went past and our Coach driver flagged it down and somehow talked the driver into taking the coach load into town. So we left our Coach driver by the side of the road and headed into town.

I sent those merry little tourists on their way and told them to meet us back in an hour for an update. An hour passed, the coach driver tells me the owner of the coach is going to come up from London. Much apologising and a re-arrange to meet the tourists in two hours. Now this continued all day and by 5pm (we got there about 9.30) several of them were having heart attacks, they had to be back in London by 7. So off to the tourist info we go to get them a back up plan, just as we were about to put them on a public bus, the coach driver rings. The bus is stuck, its going to be hours, I looked up and the coach was pulling up over the hill. Hurray. I hop on the bus leaving Natasha to hold onto the tourists (hey she gets a free trip, she's gotta work for it) and the coach driver tells me he wants a 30 minute break, there was a church he had to see. Plus he hadn't eaten. So I had to go up to this coach load of almost abandoned tourists and ask for a 30 minute wait. Much whinging started and lucky it was a nice coach driver because after a bit they started to feel sorry for him not being able to eat. So it was agreed to meet back in 30 minutes.

30 minutes later everyone is back on the bus bar two people. So I had to run all over town (now it was lucky it was a small one) and hunt them out. All the way back I had to deal with two drunken passengers (they spent the day drinking for lack of anything better to do) demanding their money back. Like I was going to pay them, I kept explaining they would need to ring the office. When we got off at London the last view I had of them was them shouting they would be back tomorrow for a free trip. They weren't.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: