A little problem turns into a bigger one!

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, April 23, 2012

23rd April 2012

Woke at 7.45!! Isi had a restless night with cramps and painful knee. Lovely sunny morning again, and engineer due at 10am so we had a quick bacon and egg sandwich.

James came to sort out the electrics with the bilge pump and sods law it worked! BUT water was squirting from somewhere so found a plastic connector had split, so replaced it with a brass one.  Then it was noticed that there was another leak in the exhaust water box (exhaust gasses go through water in this plastic box before leaving the boat) where the seam had split along the top.  This was just below the waterline so this is not good news and James does not do this type of work, so we would have to get the engineer from the marina (twice the price of James!).  He came to look at it and said "you're sinking! To do it we would have to take you out of the water in the slings 160 but there is no slot available for the crane for days and not sure if I have an engineer available.  I will go and have a cup of tea and come back".  Well he never did come back. John saw the Harbour Master and there were some scrubbing stakes available 18 so at 3pm we took it round there straight away and waited for the water to go out. We were so fortunate that the chandlers had a replacement in stock at the internet price, so after asking if there was “an old git’s” discount, John got 10% knocked off!! 

We stayed upright which was great, steep learning curve for us both as we have never done this before.

John managed to change the leaking box with great difficulty getting the old one out, but so much easier putting the new one in, which is just as well as the tide does not wait for anyone.

 Whilst we were dry, he took out the log and cleaned it as it has only worked intermittently.  We have to wait and see if it works now, otherwise it will have to be a new one. (our  folding bikes stored in the bow storage are in the picture) He cleaned the exhaust outlet which had barnacles on and stopped the non return flap from closing completely.

It was also an opportunity to wash down the waterline and inspect the anodes as there was much deliberation as to what we should put on when we were in Newhaven. Zinc is for sea water, manganese for fresh water and aluminium for brackish water.  We were leaving Newhaven round the coast to London (salt water, Upper Thames (fresh water),   marina  for the winter (brackish) back round the coast (salt water) then Dutch canals and rivers (fresh or brackish water), so we were advised on aluminium. They are still there and doing the job.  They will need to be changed in the winter as per usual.

We made something positive out of the negative.

We then waited for the tide to return to see if all was well.  Isobel went to bed fully dressed in case of emergency!! John stayed up to inspect and all was well.  High water was 2am so we could not move the boat then as we would not have been popular waking people up so had to wait until the next high tide in the afternoon.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Gavin on

Can I just comment that your 'Man at Work' looks more like a 'Man who sank a couple of Newky Brown's, and woke up hugging the engine'

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: