Crossing the border

Trip Start Oct 28, 2009
Trip End May 13, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Vacation Inn and RV

Flag of United States  , California
Saturday, December 19, 2009

Today we got up early, a stop for water, then to WalMart and we were ready to cross the border.

We crossed at downtown Mexicali. The US were doing spot checks for guns. They blocked the road and directed the next 20 vehicles into a check line. We were the 20th vehicle. They did a pretty quick check, opened the back and brought a dog in. They even let the dog up on the bed, that was gross. Then at immigration, Bill stayed in the truck, because it was parked in the middle of the road and I went in and got my visa. Then I stayed in the truck while Bill went in and found out they did not issue vehicle permits.

We had to drive seven miles down the fenceline to the next crossing to get a vehicle permit. There we stood in line for four hours to get the vehicle permit. There were 25-30 people in front of us. There were 4 clerks and that is as fast as they could process the permits. They were hampered by the fact that they all had to share the one credit card reader, one printer and one rubber stamp that they passed between them.

As we left the permit office the sun had just set and since we do not like to drive after dark in Mexico, we decided to go back to El Centro and try it again tomorrow.

Then we got in line to cross the border back to the US. We waited another hour to enter the US, but at least we were sitting in the truck.

Then the worst came when the US customs chose us for a secondary search. We had to pull into the secondary area and get out of the truck. They went all around it with the mirror, even under the hood and in the camper. They had a drug dog that went into the camper and all around it, he found nothing. Then they brought in the agriculture dog, and he smelled oranges, but could not find them. We finally told them that the tangerines were in the cab of the truck, they then opened the door and he found them, he got his treat. We explained that the tangerines were from the US and they let us keep them. We sat around alot while they were off doing something and finally after an hour passed we were allowed to leave. By now it was 6:30 pm and pitch dark. We drove 20 miles back to El Centro and checked into a small RV park that we had noticed near the expressway.

We had dinner at Denny's and will be in bed early tonight. It was a brutal day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


matthewsfamily on

Wow, that does sound like a brutal day. Still having a hard time mustering up some sympathy for you, though. Haha.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: