Elephant trekking

Trip Start Nov 19, 2013
Trip End Aug 04, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Krabi,
Saturday, November 23, 2013

On my first day in Koh Lanta, I wake up refreshed and ready to experience the island life.
My feet were still swollen from the 30 hr trip but nothing can stop me.
The group assembles in " The Living Room' where we have some of the best and fluffiest banana pancakes.
While I am trying to satisfy my coffee addiction ordering my second cappuccino we are joined by another good friend of mine, Penny, and her boyfriend Aubrey, who have been on the island for the past 5 days.
Penny is another friend from medical school , the 3 of us along with Mona always cruising the corridors of Warwick Medical school together.
I have not seen Mona and Penny for a while and to think that we meet again after all this time in Thailand is great!
Unfortunately the weather is not keeping up with our good mood and the tropical rain continues getting very heavy at times.
Unstoppable, the whole group decides to brave the rain and go for some elephant trekking.
A tuk tuk ride up the hill and into a forest and we are ready to ride some elephants.
We ride the elephants in pairs , Penny and I riding together.
Our elephant, whose name I can not remember, is 19 years old and the biggest one of the group.
The 5 elephants move slowly one after the other deep in the forest stopping frequently to munch on some crunchy leaves and shake some trees! As our elephant is the tallest we tower over the rest of them making the view is more magnificent.
Our elephant , being the alpha male of the group, thinks it is really funny to suck on some water with his trunk and then spray it all over the elephants in the front.
He does that multiple times leaving Malin and her mum drenched in muddy water and elephant snot! The trek lasted for an hour and we were extremely lucky as the rain stopped the moment we got on the elephants.
Trek over and  we get to feed the elephants bananas and get some pictures.
I even got the courage to touch one of them , slightly pet the tough skin of her trunk!
After this relaxing experience we decide to move onto an even more relaxing experience and get a massage in one of the many places scattered around the island.
Bliss! 60 minutes of massage using coconut oil and tiger balm.
It is surprising how I did not fall asleep and my tired legs appreciate my decision to get a massage.
By the time our massage is over rain continues to fall so we decide to take refuge in the shops where after some hardcore haggling we buy quite a few things.
My favorite purchase is a blue hammock which I am planning to put between two olive trees back home.
The group assembles once more in a colorful restaurant along the pier where every chair and table  is painted a different bright colour. The group actually has expanded as we are joined by three Swedish colleagues of Malin's. The more the merrier!
I choose a traditional green Thai curry with mouthwatering coconut milk. The conversation flows well and we all laugh at the pictures of the drenched people after the elephant trekking.
Back in the hotel for some rest to get ready for another busy day.

P.s. Mummy I am ok

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: