Samoa - A week in the sun!
Trip Start Aug 03, 2004
11Trip End Jan 27, 2005
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
We returned to Upolu by Polynesian airways (or Venga airways as we nicknamed them) and our amusement at the small and primitive airport was amplified when we saw the plane we would be flying it - It had a propeller, just 8 seats and one pilot which explained why they had weighed us as well as our baggage at check in
We made it safely back to Upolu and after kissing the tarmac we took a taxi back to Samoan Outrigger - our excellent budget hotel in Apia. Next day we hired bikes to see some of Upolu island, but it was far too hot so we didn't get very far or see too much - we only made it as far as Villa Vailima which is the former residence of Robert Louis Stephenson and is now converted to 'worth seeing' museum. After all that cycling we decided to have an early night but this plan was soon scrapped when Mary realised that our flight was at 4 am the following morning. We had it in our heads that we flew the following night and having only realised 4 hours before the flight was due to leave, we frantically packed and headed for the airport!
Samoa is a very relaxed, friendly country. The beaches and scenery were excellent, well worth a visit.
- The people are very friendly
- Paradise beaches, palm trees, blue sea, lots of sun
- Religion is very strong - everything stops on a Sunday
- Buses are very colourful and packed with people
- Men wear skirts
- Women wear flowers in their hair
- The inter - islander air tour is an experience
- Very laid back
- Alofaaga blowholes are very impressive
- The beaches - especially Siufaaga
- Alofaaga blowholes
- The nightlife in Apia
- The tour of Upolu with Green Turtle
- Vailima lager - the very nice, very cheap local beer.
Soundtrack to our trip
- Going to Ibiza by Vengaboys - This was played on the bus from the airport as we arrived and was heard several times around the bars of Apia - one of those holiday songs that gets into your head. We adapted the words for our own amusement - All together now: 'Oh, we're going to Upolu! Oh, from Savaii! Oh we're flying with Venga airways, in the Poly-nes-ian sky'