Last Full Day on Kauai

Trip Start Apr 25, 2009
Trip End May 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Thursday, April 30, 2009

I woke up at 6 and went to go finish blogging previous day's entries in the living room. Mike woke up around the same time and made breakfast for him and Sarah, and then they headed out on their day's adventure - more snorkeling! Jon and I made waffles and chatted with my mom, and then she left for her adventure - a ride up the Na Pali Coast! I blogged, while Jon headed out to take pictures.

He came back after about 10 minutes and wanted to hang out but I wanted to blog. Then, I was ready to hang out and he had to brush his teeth. OMG. We packed up for the horseback riding and headed out around 9am. Check in was at 10:30 on the north shore - almost halfway around the island. We enjoyed the drive, though we did get stuck behind long lines of cars a few times. It was beautiful though. We arrived at 10:15. We walked into the office to get checked in and there's this crazy looking rooster behind the desk. He had like a shaggy mane of feathers. The owner told us he was given to her by a neighbor and she named him Andy Warhol because of the blond hair.

We went outside to sign our forms and we saw this cute Siamese cat named Sagwa (after this cartoon where Siamese cats live in the emperor's palace in China and can paint and write calligraphy with their tails). A little more walking and we saw a yellow-naped Amazon just like my parents'. His name was Mac and he was 55 years old. Interestingly, he didn't have much more yellow than Doc, who's 31. We went around the corner and saw 2 big pigs and Jon oinked at them until they oinked back. Once they started to "relieve" themselves, however, I left.

After we chased the animals around, taking pictures for a bit, they got us all set up on our horses. Mine was Ace, he was a beautiful chestnut color with a diamond of white between the eyes. Jon was on shadow a dappled white and grey mare. The ride was great, our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and the scenery was beautiful. I don't think Jon relaxed until after lunch, but I felt right at home on the horse.

Lunch was next to a waterfall where we had planned on going swimming, but the water was really cold and the day was overcast, so we changed our minds. They gave us tropical coleslaw, rice and chicken teriyaki, passion fruit juice and macadamia nut shortbread cookies. We sat there and chatted for about 30 minutes since no one was going in the water, comparing stories about where we were all from and what we thought of Kauai. Our group consisted of an older couple from Oregon who had been here before and a first-timer couple from Boston.  Our guide told us about celebrities in the area, local police, where the surf/snorkel spots were and about growing up in Dana Point, CA. he knew pretty much every question we asked him, including all the trees, birds and weather.

On the ride back, the guide pointed out a pheasant in the bushes near Jon's horse and right then, it flew out, scaring some of the horses. He asked one of the guys if he was okay, and the guy said, "I may have peed my pants a little."

We got back to the ranch way too quick and had to hop off the horses, but as we approached the barn, we saw a skinny-ish mare grazing out in the open on her own. We mentioned the escapee, but the guide said that she was a retired mare (about 30) and they just let her wander because they didn't ride her anymore, so why should she stay in a pen all day long. Then we saw this HUGE peacock sitting on a fence. It was beautiful so we took a bunch of pictures, but unfortunately, he didn't open for us. We gathered up our stuff, tipped the guide, and I was signing the guidebook when they let us know the peacock opened up. We headed around the corner and it was hilarious. He was wide open, shaking his feathers to draw attention to himself every 30 seconds or so and NONE of the peahens cared. They were just eating around him like dude, get out of my way. One of them even snuck up behind him and he had to kind of shuffle away (see video). We watched for a few more minutes, and then we started driving away. When I looked back, I saw the mare had walked up to the office to nuzzle the owner and above her in the rafters were 2 barn cats, including our Siamese friend. So I hopped out and took a picture.

Jon and I were interested in driving to the "end of the road" because the guide said there were amazing views and good snorkeling. We called Mike and Sarah to see where they were because we had to meet up at some point to drop off their car. They were in Wailua (about 45 minutes from where we were) having lunch. We said we'd drive up north, then head back down and meet up with them. We got to Hanalei, a very cute, beachy town (think El Porto with jungle) and stopped for lunch at Subway. We picked up lighter fluid and bought some postcards (I know, it's dumb, we're leaving the next day, but I LIKE POSTCARDS) and found a picnic table to eat at. We started wandering in the gift shops there, looking for gifts for Adam and Jessica (and ourselves). Mike and Sarah called and said they were nearby (at this one lane bridge they couldn't seem to get across). We gave them directions and said to meet us at the shops. They showed up shortly thereafter.

When we went to Oahu in 2005, we went to this little shop that sold bath stuff and I found this Mango Coconut shampoo that just screamed Hawaii. I bought some, took it home and used it so sparingly that I still have some left - 4 years later! The store we were inside in Hanalei had it, so I bought more PLUS a bunch of lotions. They were probably overpriced, but these smell so good and it's really nice to smell like Hawaii once you get home.

Jon bought some gifts for Jessica and I bought some thing for Adam and his mom. Then we all decided it was time to head out. I asked Mike and Sarah if they were taking advantage of the perfect day for a convertible (warm, but cloudy so no direct sun) and she said she hadn't let him open it. My mouth must have been hanging open because she suggested I ride with Mike and she'd ride with Jon in the minivan. I definitely took her up on that.

So, we headed out on the road and as we drove through Wailea, Mike pointed out where he and Sarah had eaten lunch (Bubba's Burgers). I mentioned that that was where the hiking/kayaking was taking place and that we'd have to go all the way back there tomorrow. It's definitely a good idea to stay on the east side of the island if you plan on doing ANYTHING. Somewhere north of Lihue and south of Kapa'a, otherwise you're not centrally located to anything.  

We stopped at a pineapple store that Jon and I had noticed on the way up. The plan was to get a full pineapple freshly sliced, but it was after 4pm and she was out, so we bought a quarter of a pineapple freshly sliced rather than have to slice one ourselves.

We eventually got to the airport, dropped off the Mustang and piled into the minivan for the ride home. We got home around 6 and none of us (except for Jon) were hungry yet, so we went to the breezeway to use the internet. We stayed there for about an hour, Mom joined us along the way, and then we headed back. We also returned Little Miss Sunshine because we weren't going to watch it,, but the plan was to play Scrabble that night. Mike had doused the BBQ with lighter fluid before we went to the breezeway and when he got back, we all prepared for the huge flames when he lit it. Disappointingly, they weren't that big...until he poured more lighter fluid on it. Boys... and fire...

Jon and I were sent to the Pub to request condiments since we didn't have any and we came back with mustard, ketchup and BBQ sauce. When we came back, everything was ready - hot dogs, mac and cheese made by Sarah, mashed potatoes and salad. We tried to eat everything since we were leaving the next day. Then we finished off the Lillikoi Pie and Mike and Sarah wanted pistachio pudding. Jon and I tried it and decided it wasn't for us. Scrabble was definitely not going to happen tonight, since we were all pretty much done. Sarah went to read, Mike was on the compy, I was reading and Jon was being annoying (<--- natural state). Eventually, we all headed to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: