From Cold and rainy to hot and sunny.

Trip Start Apr 19, 2008
Trip End May 25, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  , Attica,
Saturday, July 30, 2011

Woke at 6.30am, still with a pain in my side. I
quickly packed my remaining stuff, took my bags down stairs and
checked out. I had a flight at 10.20am and had to be there 2 hours
early, which meant that I had to get there first. This meant that I
had to leave the hotel before breakfast was served, but I thought I
might be able to get something decent at the airport. It was a rainy
cold morning, there were not many people about at 6.45am as I walked
to the metro station.

The metro arrived quickly and I got on, getting
off at the stop the bus to the airport would leave from. The bus was
just arriving as I got to it, I got on and it was a smooth ride to
the airport. This was a quick ride to the airport and as it was
raining, there was very little traffic so the ride wet quickly. Once
I got to the departures area I had to wait about 20 minutes for the
check in counter for my flight to come up. I probably could have had
breakfast at the hotel and still been on time. When the check in
counter opened, I checked in and then went to find some food for
breakfast. There was not much open at around 9am on a Saturday
morning, but I found a mac Donald’s and had a has brown, sausage
and egg muffin and an orange juice. This was the first time that I
had purchased fast food on my trip so far. After breakfast I went
through security, then into duty free. Here I purchased with the last
of my crowns, some bacardi. I then went for a walk around the
terminal before heading to the gate. The gate was a long walk from
anywhere. They did have internet access here, so I used that until
the boarding was called. The plane I was going on was a little dash
type – a 26 seater or something, this meant that we had to catch a
bus to the plane itself.

Once everyone was on the shuttle, went went to
the plane, jumped out of the shuttle and ran through the rain to the
plane and up the stairs. After everyone had sat down, we took off. We
got a snack on the flight, but I mostly spent the flight reading or
looking out the window. The flight only took an hour and we were in
Budapest. Here we got off the plane onto another shuttle, which took
us to the gate. It had stopped raining but it was still a bit cold
here. Once we got out of the shuttle, I found out what gate the next
plane was leaving from then discovered that it was just around the
corner. I then lined up at the counter and within a few minutes the
gate was open and we were heading to another aircraft. I found my
seat and relaxed until the plane was ready to take off. It was a bit
late in leaving but we got off the ground in the end. We got served
lunch and I downloaded and organized my pictures, did some reading
and just relaxed.

We arrived in Athens late, had to walk a bit to
collect the bags which were late, then I went looking for the train
station. Once I left the airport building, a wall of heat hit me,
this was one very warm city and it was only about 4pm. I had to
purchase a ticket for the train – I had looked for an ATM as I left
the airport, but couldn't find one, but I had 10 euro left over. I
used 8 euro to buy the ticket. I then went down to the platform,
waited for the train. When the train did arrive, it waited a while
before leaving again. I was a good ride into the centre of Athens. I
got off at syntagma station and then found the correct street that I
need. I walked along this street heading in the direction of the
hotel. Along the way I tried to get some money from the ATMs, the
first one was not working, the second one would not accept my card,
but the third one did and I got some money. I walked to the hotel,
the plaka hotel, here I checked in, dropped my bags in my room and
then left the hotel to go for a walk around. It was 5.45pm. I wanted
to go to the national archaeological museum, this meant that I need
to get to the metro station, I found the one I needed but due to
works going on the platform that I needed wasn't in operation, to get
where I wanted to go I would have to go to another station, change
lines and then go up this way, but I decided to walk there. I knew
the general direction, but not how far it was, so I ended up giving
up and just wandered around looking at the ruins. I ended up at the
Roman forum, looked around, took some pictures, had a look in some of
the shops, then went to find some dinner. I had a kebab plate, it was
great with some Greek beer to go with it.

After dinner I went back to the hotel, where I
checked out the internet situation and the washing situation. I got
an internet card and purchased a laundry bag. I went to my room,
fixed up my laundry, then used the internet for a bit, reorganised my
bag, got ready for the sight seeing tomorrow and then went to the
hotel bar. The hotel bar was a roof top bar with a great view of the
acropolis. I had a few more drinks while I was watching the view,
took some pictures, then headed back to my room to sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: