Amsterdamage part 1

Trip Start Apr 19, 2008
Trip End May 25, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Netherlands  , Noord-Holland,
Sunday, July 24, 2011

Today was the day we were going to Amsterdam,
it was also the last 2 days of the trip. When I got up I quickly
packed then went and had breakfast. It was raining again. After
breakfast we left Grandma's place. There was a lot of talking about
some people's antics last night, trying to scare other people. On the
bus I did some reading and talked to various people.

Our first stop we arrived with another contiki
group heading for Amsterdam, so the restaurant was crowded and they
only had two tills working. After a long wait to get food, I had some
of the greatest sausage rolls that I have ever had. Back on the bus
we got a bit of a talk about the city of Amsterdam and what to
expect. We were also told about the so called secret contiki optional
in Amsterdam – the sex show. This is what we would be seeing
tonight and would cost 30 euros with 2 drinks provided. At 1.30pm we
stopped at the cheese and clogs place in Edam. This was to try Dutch
cheese and see how the clogs were made. It was interesting. At the
gift shop I got some cheese and some replacement thongs as I had
broken mine in Rome. We were also supposed to go for a bike ride
around Edam but because it was raining that was cancelled, so we
headed to the hotel in Amsterdam.

We got to the hotel just after 3.30pm.
Everything had to come off the bus here so we could sort it. This
also included the wines and schnapps. Once we found our rooms we
headed up the stairs with our bags and got to the room. I was room –
mates with Ken, Max and Luke and we were located on the balcony
outside the hotel. Once everything was in the rooms I began to
repack. I didn't complete it because the hotel had internet and I
wanted to use it, so I tried using my wifi but the wifi was not
working, then I went and used the slow hotel internet stations. After
that I headed back up to my room but before getting there I was
stopped by some of the group and invited to have a smoke of some
weed. Some of the guys had gone out and purchased some and brought it
back to the hotel to try. So in front of a no smoking sign we had a
smoke. I only had a few puffs as that was enough.

Then it was time for dinner and we went down
and had the best dinner of the trip – a buffet style meal, it was
great, then I went and had a few drinks in the bar. After everyone
was finished with dinner we had an award ceremony, for awards like
most random, funniest and father figure. I won the Kodak award.

After the awards we all got back on the coach
and headed into town. First up was a walk through the red light
district – RLD. Here we saw all the red lights over the windows for
the women of the night, I also saw a few of their pimps as well. We
had a bit of a walk around then went to the bull dog cafe where I got
a space cake. You are told to have half the cake now then the other
half about 30 minutes later, but I had the whole thing at the time
because I didn't want to carry the box around. I then had another
drink at one of the bars. We then meet up again at the Casa Rossa
theatre for the cultural extra. We had to wait a bit for all the
group to join us as they had gotten lost walking around the RLD. Once
everyone had joined us we found our seats and were served our drinks
– Vodka with a shot of lemonade – European free pour is great.

From here I don't remember a thing about the
rest of the night except that I know I got lost in the RLD, had a few
more drinks and got a pizza, but the rest of the tale for today is
based on talking to people in the days following and using our
collective memory of what happened to pierce together what we did. I
don't remember anything because halfway through the show, the weed
and the space cake started to kick in, and the alcohol certainly did
not help.

About half way into the sex show the drugs and
alcohol kicked in and the rest of the night became a blurry dream, I
remember not being able to walk straight and unable to control this
as well as seeing the lights moving and dancing. But at the show I,
along with two other guys – Jason and Canada were called up to the
stage and was involved with one of the acts – involving a banana
and a Gorilla suit. The after the show finished we left and I was
with a group that wanted a few more drinks so we went to the
grasshopper cafe and had a few more drinks, then we tried to find
some more bars, ended up walking around the RLD, completely lost.
There were about 10 of us I think and we wandered around, then we
meet up with another part of our contiki group who were just as lost
as we were, so we joined up looking for food now. Apparently we
walked around the RLD for a total of two hours completely lost,
everyone thinking they knew the way but all the time going in
circles, never getting anywhere. So at one point there was 25 people
all stoned and drunk wandering around. It was the blind leading the
blind in a complete circle. Some how we found a pizza shop and got
some pizza. I also went off and found the grasshopper again, I think
I went in to pay for the use of the toilet. After getting pizza we
must have split up again but I found myself in a taxi heading back to
the hotel, I was told it was a maxi cab that charged us 5 euro each
to ride it. Back at the hotel I went back to the room with Ken but we
stopped and talked inside another room for a bit. I then went to bed,
I think it must have been about 3am. This night had been the only
time where I couldn't tell what was happening – I have since
decided no to do pot again.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: