To the top of Europe.

Trip Start Apr 19, 2008
Trip End May 25, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Switzerland  , Swiss Alps,
Friday, July 22, 2011

Woke up early again today. The plan was that we
had an optional to go up the mountain, however it was to be confirmed
at breakfast to make sure that the weather was good up the top of the
mountain. Once it was confirmed then we had to pay for it. I dressed
up then went to breakfast where we confirmed that it was on, I paid
my money, then went back to the room to get ready to go. Before we
went up the mountain I went to the camp area shop where I got some
lunch, some gloves and some drinks. I then returned back to the main
lodge building, going over this great bridge that went over this
raging river. I quickly got ready to go and then headed back to the
reception area to meet the group. I also picked up an internet card
while I was here but there was no chance to use it at the moment, I
could use it when I came back from the mountain. We waited at
reception until everyone had arrived then set off for the station. It
was a 10 minute walk to the station, walking through the small town,
there were also great views of the surrounding mountains.

This optional was called the Jungfrau mountain
optional and included the train to get up the mountain. We had to
wait at the station a bit then when the train came we all got on. It
was very steep and this provided great views of the surrounding
areas. We stopped at the various stations along the way until we got
to the final station. Here we got out and had to transfer to the cog
train. This train went up into a tunnel and stopped at 9400 feet and
10300 feet, where we had a few minutes to have a look at the viewing
platforms. By now I had put by warm clothes on

Once we arrived at the mountain station it was
free time all day. First up I posted a postcard at the post office,
then went and had a look at the ice palace. This was pretty cool and
had a lot of good stuff here. I then walked to the top of the complex
and went outside where I saw the snow, it was great, snow in summer.
There were a few people from the group here so we had a bit of a
snowball fight, then I went up to the further lookout, took some
pictures of the area then headed back inside the building. I went
down to the cafe to have a hot chocolate, then wandered around the
area. I went and had a look at the sphinx, another lookout area, then
the area where some various sports were happening. By now I was
feeling a bit sick, getting a headache – I think it was altitude
sickness. I decided to go back down the mountain, but first I wanted
to find my room-mates as they had the key to the room. I explored the
area again and went back outside to where we had the snowball fight,
went back to the snowboarding area, but couldn't find anyone from my
contiki group at all.

I then decided to go back down and explore the
town for a bit. I got on the next train down the mountain, it was a
bout 2pm, back to the end of the cog track and then onto the other
track. For the first half of the journey I went to sleep, then did a
bit of reading. By the time we got halfway down I was feeling better.
I talked with some of the other people in the train – they were all
from the Ultimate group. We got back to the local station and started
heading back to the camp area.

I had a look in some of the shops along the
way, I didn't get anything but just looked. I got back to the camp
area, then went to the shop and got some beer and some food. I then
went back to the main lodge area, found that the room was still
locked, then sat in the common room doing a bit of reading. After
about 10 minutes one of the staff members came along and we got him
to give some of us who were waiting, keys to the room so we could get
inside. Once I was in I did a bit of a bag repack, did some reading
then went and used the internet for a bit.

After the internet I went and had a shower, got
ready for dinner, then talked to my room-mates for a bit. We had a
nice dinner then returned to the rooms. After dinner was the swiss
disco party. To begin with we had a few drinks in our rooms and then
this spilled into the hall way where we had a bit of a hall way
party. At about 10pm we started heading to the bar, where we got some
expensive drinks, danced and sang to our day song as it was played. I
had a few more drinks then went back up to the rooms where I sat and
talked to various people in the halls, before going to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: