Our hotel room is broken

Trip Start May 01, 2001
Trip End Jul 14, 2001

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , North Carolina
Tuesday, May 15, 2001

We got up early to catch the shuttle bus to Union Station, from where we made our way to the Greyhound Station and boarded to bus to Charlotte, North Carolina. The journey was fairly uneventful, with the usual stops in a few dodgy places and the usual perturbing odours emanating from several of the usual unsavoury looking individuals on the bus. The journey took most of the day, and by the time we arrived in Charlotte, for our overnight stop en route to Savannah, it was around 7 pm.

The hotel was only a short walk from the Greyhound Station in Charlotte, so after checking in and dropping off our luggage, we decided to head into town to have a look around and get something to eat. It was only a short walk into town, and the town centre looked quite clean and pleasant, though it was really quiet. We decided to stop in at the first place we came to, a bar called The Graduate; it had a covered outdoor area, where we sat so we could watch the basketball (Charlotte v Milwaukee) on TV.

The waitress at The Graduate was a dead ringer for the lovely Denise, who both Jay and myself had admired from afar on numerous occasions on Sunday nights out in Merthyr, so we made sure we gave her a half decent tip after we'd had a couple of drinks and some food. This was in spite of her having no idea where Wales was when she asked us where we were from (she did at least apologise, citing her lack of geographical knowledge).

Inside the bar they had karaoke, and on my way to and from the toilet I witnessed a magnificent rendition of The Knack's 1979 classic My Sharona which really cheered me up, and I decided to be nice to Jay for the rest of the trip.

We left the bar at around eleven o'clock to return to the hotel, as we had another early start. So far, I don't think we have had a single hotel room where everything has worked fine, and this was no exception - in this particular little palace, hardly any of the lights seemed to work, leaving us to fumble around blindly in the dark (I actually believe that Jay may have deliberately removed the light bulbs when I wasn't looking, in the hope of 'innocently' copping a feel).

Today had been totally uneventful, taken up with travelling and little else, but I felt as if we were getting out of the north east corner of America where we had been confined up until now, and were starting to get on the road for real, with the rest of the country opening out before us.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: