The Flipin Weather

Trip Start Nov 14, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The weather in Sydney has been an absolute piss take these last two months. It seems every time we head to the beach it decides to rain. Never mind at least it is still T-shirt weather and not in the minus degrees ha ha. The rain has forced everyone to do what we do in England when it rains, get pissed. I feel like I have drank more in the last month than ever before. There is just nothing else to do in Manly when it rains. We all aim to go to the beach have a surf, game of cricket and all that but most of the time we end up in the Steyne (big pub in manly) and play Extreme Hunter 2, an arcade hunting game which we have all become experts at. We were even talking about going Kangaroo Hunting sometime, hopefully with out bumping into Mick Dundee while shooting at them. At least we are indirectly fitting in with the locals as Ozzy's are famed for their drinking. Although us English tend to walk around the pubs with an air of superiority as we always order a Pint and the Ozzy's prefer a Schooner (girls measure).

With all the drinking however there has been some great parties. There was the Halloween bash which was amazing. It was a great success for the Hostel. Walker and Emily the entertainments co-ordinaters did a fine job in creating an eerie setting in the hostel courtyard with some bin bags. Everyone put loads of effort into the outfits and made it a great party.

We had a BBQ when it wasn't raining one day where I met some possums for the first time. They are great 'pests'. They come right up to you and don't even mind being stroked. Just like the birds here, it is unbelievable that they haven't been affected by humans enough for the wildlife to be cautious of us.

There was also the Rave Party that Lara (the new entertainments manager) created. It was absolutely awesome and a classic party. The old 90s tunes were pumping everyone went wild and like all true raves was only ever going to stop if the Police ended it, which they did.

We also had a great session when most of the hostel went to the Hawaiian themed Harbour Boat cruise. The weather was shit but the cruise was great. There is nothing like sailing around Sydney's famous harbour while dancing on the deck to great house music. It didn't end there though we ended up in Sydney on the night going to a Defected in the House night to see Simon Dunmore. I think that weekend ended about Tuesday and then it was time for the Durham Invasion.

It was almost emotional at the airport when Shipley, Lee, Acky and Amanda walked through the arrivals door. It was brilliant to see them all again. We really have missed everyone back in Durham and we loved hearing all the gossip about everyone back home and all the people we don't even know that Lee always tells us about. Some lass who is cousins with the lad that owns Hide bistro or someone else just as random. Nothing changes there then.

The only disappointing thing about it all was the weather. They literally brought it with them. It wasn't all bad news though. Instead of sun-baking (thats what they call sunbathing), surfing and watching the girls go by on the beach all day, we hit the Steyne and played Extreme Hunter 2. Later on Tall Guy, Pete and co. joined us and things went mental. We went to a Sailing Club for a drink and without fail (as if it wasn't predicted) we were thrown out for being too drunk. After a few more drinks and it being obvious that we were never going to last more than five minutes in any pub we headed to 150 (Ben's house) for a party. It was one to remember but the only things I can recall was Acky and Shipley falling out the tree and Shipley fine tuning Jose's bike and then crashing it into the patio door.
The next day it rained again so we drank again. Walker cooked us a meal and the gang were introduced to Goon (the cheap boxed wine) synonymous with Backpackers and Aborigines. Not to be out done by anybody Shipley decided to down half a bag, something of a feat as it tastes like shit.
On the third day we drank as it rained again. We ended up absolutely wrecked in the steyne only 6 hours before our flight to Brisbane. Early morning wasn't much fun, getting packed for the trip with the Airport taxi almost outside but thankfully it would be a few hours before the hangover crepted into play. Ben and Jose did manage to miss the taxi we had booked because Viking being Viking decided to take Ben's phone out of his room so he could use it for his alarm. Typical Viking and Ben could have killed him. We did get him back though when he fell asleep in my room and inevitably ended up with a Shoal-in Monk hairstyle.
Anyway we got to the airport on time but how we were allowed on the flight is anyones guess. We made it to Brisbane were it was pissing down and picked up our two estate cars with camping equipment from the Travellers Auto Baun rental company. The guy behind the counter was from Sunderland and was shocked to see a group of seven Durhamers and a Brazilian walk through the door. We got loaded up and set off for Surfers Paradise and the start of possibly the best three weeks ever.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: