Walking, walking, walking!

Trip Start May 06, 2006
Trip End Mar 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Well, the train journey here was something to be experienced! I found out from two friends after I'd booked the train ticket that the bus would've been cheaper and dropped me right outside the hostel but it was too late for that so along I went!

Train was scheduled to leave at 22:15 (although after going through to show your passport and then waiting for everyone else to do it, it was much later than that when we finally pulled away!) and the beds were actually very nice - even though I was in the lowest class of beds. Only down side was that there were no luggage compartments so my two backpacks had to sleep with me taking up a large amount of the bed! Not that important being as the train was so rickety that I didn't get much sleep anyway.. and I panicked every time it stopped that I'd missed my stop or something (apparently my brain didn't acknowledge that mine was the last stop anyway!).

I was all settled in and getting ready to sleep when we stopped and I realised everyone was getting off. I had my iPod in so hadn't heard that we were coming to the exit point of Singapore and so had to get our passports stamped! Last one out as usual but I'd met an Indian guy on the first que to get on the train who was waiting for me so I had someone to chat to! I was just knackered and wanted to spend as much time as poss sleeping! He was a very nice guy but made out he knew everything about Kuala Lumpur and I later found he'd never even been there! Gotta love people like that!

So, slept on and off. Read a funny toilet sign that said "if you find you have soiled the toilet please clean it for the next person"... how you could soil a hole that leads directly to the tracks I'm not sure... that's some backfire! Had to go through the scary connector bits that go outside that I hate to get there too!! All in all it was an experience I was glad to have and similar to the one I'm sure I'll have from Penang to Bangkok!

I arrived at 7:15 in the morning and was determined not to pay a fortune for a taxi and work out the bus or underground system. Asked at the info desk but didn't believe the first guy so asked someone else... he was telling the truth so I felt slightly bad! Got two undergrounds to my hostel (they're seperate companies and not linked so you have to leave one and get on the other! Weird.) and arrived very hot and very tired! A pleasant surprise that the whole place is air conditioned! Not bad for 2 pounds (no pound sign!) a night!

Went out to explore a little bit - I really wanted to sleep but I figured that could wait! Took a long ass walk around Chinatown and found a gorgeous vegetarian restaurant (Fatt Yan!) where I had some sweet and sour "pork"! The walk that should've apparently taken me an hour and a half took me about 3 hours 'cos I kept stopping along the way and got very lost... I need names of buildings to direct me and this map had no such thing so I'm sure I missed half of the stuff I was supposed to see!

Got back to the hostel and started chatting to a guy from the US and we went out to a few bars that night in Bangsar... it's apparently the place to see and be seen but all we saw were a bunch of unattractive guys with really attractive girls but we won't go into what that was all about! Was a good night and nice to finally be in a bar that resembled a real bar!! We used public transport (confusing!) and witnessed cockroaches crawling all over the walls of houses. Yuk!

Had my first really long lie-in of the trip and woke up at 12! I did myself proud! It's such a bonus having no windows 'cos you have no idea what time it is and so can just sleep until you're not tired any more! Of course, I could've gone back to sleep but I thought I should get up and at least attempt to do something. Plus, with the excessive amount of a/c that room is FREEZING! I've even had to use my sleeping bag for the first time in almost 2 months!

Headed into the city centre and tried to go up the twin towers but, as my friend H had warned, the tickets were all gone for the day. Instead, I took H's advice, and headed over to the KL Tower. I'm sure it would've been within walking distance had I been able to see the thing and had the ability to read maps! I spent a good hour trying to find it walking around a very nice set of gardens (with a pool in the middle no less!), through a few malls and past lots of nice restaurants! Needless to say I was, once again, a ball of sweat when I arrived! Was worth it though 'cos I got an amazing view of the city - I took the tour thing twice too incase I missed anything on the first one! Came back and spoke to my mum on the webcam and then went and found another veggie restaurant for dinner and food was great again! I love having more than 2 options on the menu but it makes it so much harder to decide!

Today I tried to wake up early to go to the towers but I just couldn't do it! Instead I headed out to the Batu Caves this afternoon and headed up the 270 odd steps (nothing after the Adam's Peak adventure!) into the cave! There were monkeys all over the place which were cute from a distance for the most part but I was a little cautious, what with not really wanting a monkey bite and all that. I was sat at the temple at the top and the couple next to me were throwing mint sweets to them so there were a fair few around. Next thing I know one of them is very delicately climbing on my lap and opening the side of my bag!! It quite rapidly pulled my tissues out and tried to rip them open. Once inside it obviously realised it wasn't food and threw them down and reached in again!! Finding nothing it went away... I can only think it could smell my mint limp balm and thought it was me who was throwing the sweets! Cheeky little monkey!

Had a few issues getting a bus back but sat in the hot rain (still loving it!) to wait... bad idea with the a/c buses 'cos I was freezing once again! It's not often you look forward to the doors opening for the heat to come in rather than the cool air!!

Another veggie restaurant tonight and am prob gonna just watch a film with the others here. Have a Japanese guy in my room who is now calling me teacher 'cos he's asking me so many questions about English! Am trying to plan what to do next but it changes every 5 minutes. It's great not having anything planned but it's also hard to make decisions that way!! Tomorrow I'm definitely taking in the towers and possibly the Orang Asli (aboriginal Malaysians) museum and then on Friday I think I'm leaving Kuala Lumpur to head up to the Cameron Highlands (www.cameronhighlands.com) for a few days to trek around and then over to a tiny island called Pulau Pangkor to relax on the beach for a few days... or however long I want really... anyone coming?!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: