Chichen Itza and Chicken Buses Part 2
Trip Start Jun 12, 2006
173Trip End Jul 01, 2007
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
After the relative luxary of Mexico I started my journey from Valladolid to Ulita.
1) First was a bus from Valladolid to Tulum, a 2 and half hour journey
2) Next Tulum to Chetumal, I was lucky to get a ticket as only 2 were left, the ride took 3 and half hours.
3) It was almost tie for the border to close so I got a taxi to the border
4) Local bus to Corozal in Belize and I stayed in a place called the travellers inn, The owner was from Pakistan so we ended up talking about cricket etc
5) The next day I took a chicken bus from Corozal to Belize City this took 3 hours
6) At Belize City I jumped on a bus to Placencia, this went a long way around through Belmopan and Dangriga and took 4hours.
7) I arrived at 7pm, the place was dead but managed to get info on a boat that left the follwoing day.
8) I jumped on a boat at 9am in the morning, here I meet two girls I knew from Antigua and the boat took us Big Creek to wait for imagration. We waited for over a hour in a small boat for a bloke to turn up, the heat was sweltering and it was raining, so we had to cram in the boat.
9) The ride across to Honduras took 2hours, we had to wait over an hour at imagration, we people jumping on the boat to try and change money
10)Next up a ride on the back of a pick up, an hour journey from Puerto Cortes to San Pedro Sula. The bloke tried to rip us off, but we stoud our ground and refussed to pay more.
11) Another bus journey a shitty bus with no air con. The buses broke down half way, we had to wait alomost two hours before they fixed it. The journey took us 6 hours
12) I spent the night in La Ceiba after two taxi rides to the dock.
13) Last ride was a boat for an hour to Ulila.
I found somewhere to stay pretty easily, but have changed since because of cockroaches. I've now got free acommidation at the Mango in because I'm doing my advanced diving. Its nice being back on the gringo trail, but the travelling took it out of me and I'm glad I've finally arrived after 3 full day on the road.