The woman in Pearl and the hot can of ash

Trip Start Jul 26, 2007
Trip End Sep 26, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I woke up this morning feeling a bit better, with only a runny nose to combat against. It's always so nice to wake up at 7:30 to be at work by 7:35. Throwing on some jeans and whipping my hair up in a ponytail has become rather becoming, for the exception of when I have a runny nose. There's not a soul that can pull off a runny nose (smile).

Any who - I headed down to the staff kitchen to grab some breakfast before the day got started. I wasn't feeling up to work today, but forced myself to get it together. On my list of things to do: change out the towels in 4 cabins (we were using old ones because the new ones were being sent back), clean those 4 cabins and then do a trash run. I'm telling you - it's the most glamorous job I've ever had!

I set out to my first couple of cabins, which are connected by the lodge. The first one did not have an occupant, so I didn't have to clean it (yeah!). I suppose I should mention that each cabin has a name of a mountain up here. My second cabin was Pearl. I went in and the bed was already made and the curtains pulled back. A housekeepers DREAM! All I had to do is change out the towels and make sure things were straight. While I was in there, the occupant of the room came in and started talking with me. I suppose I should also mention that the environment here leads to a feeling of family with the guests and staff since we eat and do activities with them throughout the week.

Turns out she was a 72 year old woman from Hermosa Beach, CA and was on vacation with her son and his family. We ended up talking about her late husband, how they met, religion, where I was in life, where I wanted to be in life, etc. A good 30 minutes passed by and I realize that I needed that talk. All I could think of the rest of the day is the "PEARL of wisdom" I had received from her. She's reading a book right now that she plans on leaving me. I'd be the first to admit that it's a Dr. Phil book. He goes to her church... I'm not too ashamed to say I'd read it (smile). Maybe when I'm 72 I'll pass the book along to a young whipper snapper such as myself. That's right - I said young whipper snapper!

Shorty after, I finished up most of my to do list and the group I work with went over to the "alley" where all the trash and boxes are stored for us to take down to the dumpster. Imagine if you will... We have this old beat up truck that is called Whitey. It's a white truck for those slow on the up take. We pull the boxes apart so that we can flatten and then recycle them and then load up the barrels of trash onto Whitey to take down. On occasion we take a small tin garbage can of ash from the campfire to the burn pile. Don't ask me... I guess moving the ash is for aesthetics.

Any case, I'm ripping these boxes apart. Feeling good about almost getting through with the day, I'm not paying much attention apparently when my left foot gently slides off the the curb. I lose balance and my right foot moves forward to try to balance back. Unfortunately, the tin garbage can of HOT ash is where my right foot lands. My only other exit plan is to fall sideways into the bush on my left. Meanwhile, my knee has smashed up against a rock. Between rock climbing/hiking last week, my chores and falling today, my legs look like I was in a brawl with 20 people. I tried taking a picture with all my bruises, but thought that might be a little much for the blog. You'll just have to take my word and imagine how bad my legs looks. I equate it to the time I played paint ball with only one thin layer of pants. Not a good idea for those thinking of playing paint ball any time soon. It took nearly a year to get rid of those bruises.

Apparently, I've inherited the clumsy factor from my mom (sorry mom). She inherited it from her mom. It's not one of the attributes I was hoping for, nor do I wish to pass that one along.

The day drew to a close, I headed back to my room and started corresponding with a few friends that actually took me up on the AOL instant messenger. Ha-ha... Around 7ish, I headed to the kitchen for something to eat. I was late for dinner, so I had thought I was only going to be able to make a PB & J sandwich. The chef had made me Miso soup for my cold! Now, tell me that isn't sweet!?! It's starting to feel like home.

I counted today... I have completed 20 days here and have 40 more days left. It's hard to believe it's going by so fast. At times it seems slower than molasses and at other times I can't believe 3 days have passed. Suppose it's all in keeping busy.

Hope you didn't find yourself in a can of hot ash, but that you were lucky enough to receive a Pearl of wisdom from someone today.

Giddy up,

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: