Little Miss Hospitable

Trip Start May 27, 2010
Trip End Aug 31, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, September 27, 2010

What a brilliant week Londoners had this week.  The weather was amazing.  Just when our spirits are down and we resign ourselves to the fact that summer has left the building, Mother Nature slaps us on the wrist and scolds us for being so pessimistic.  She made her point by giving us three days of golden sunshine, blue skies and only precipitation in the rain gauge to count as rain.  I made the most of it and got a few loads of washing done and spent my lunchtimes outside in the sun soaking up every last drop of Vitamin D.  Glorious. 

Really?  Was my week that boring that I have to talk about the weather and laundry, and use grandma words like "glorious"?

The glory was all mine when I received praise for my efforts in organising a three week trip for my boss which included stays in Melbourne and other Australian hotspots such as Wagga Wagga.  It's hilarious hearing the English pronounce Wagga Wagga and other Australian names!  I've never had to arrange such extensive travel before, so it was exciting to see so much money spent on lavish hotels and expensive first class flights.  If only I could charge my travel expenses back to the firm.  I probably could, for a little while, but then I might also find myself enjoying a different sort of holiday in the Hotel de Jail.  If it was a really good holiday though, it might almost be worth considering.  I'll mull over it for a while I think. 

I extended my hospitality this week to a number of visitors from home.  Tuesday night I met the Bulmans and went to Brick Lane for the third time in four months and struck a good deal on some curry.  It was a nice night to hear all about their European adventure and catch up on things closer to home.  Wednesday night I met Phil for dinner and beer at the local followed by ciders at home which left me very groggy on Thursday for work, so much so that I had to jump off the train after four stops for a little vommie.  Yuck.  I didn't even drink that much!  I had to muscle up though, because I had a night out planned with Shallard, Nat, Phil.  The last time our Scotland crew were together we were doing jager trains in Edinburgh and sweating in overheated and overcrowded clubs.  So come Thursday evening, we boarded the jager train and choo choo'd into the night.  Being a forward-thinker, I took Friday off work so that we could fully unleash the DSL (Deep Scottish Love) and get on the sauce in a big way.  From the outset we all had the same objective, which makes things easier and less embarrassing when the first person hits the floor.  We had a jagerbomb straight up, and then a jagerbomb with every subsequent drink we ordered.  Suffice to say we were maggo in no time, and were ejected as a team for another glass smashing incident at what we think may have been around 10pm, but no one can remember.  I believe I ate on the way home, but the only solid evidence I had of the wicked wings I devoured was a paper bag found in my handbag the next morning.  Hmmmm. 

So Friday was a bit of a write off, but I managed to make it back to the pub on Friday evening for a couple of quiet ones and some food - salmon patties aka deep fried Deb mashed potato with a little bit of seafood extender thrown in.  Ew.  I considered whether it would be un-Australian to not get up at 5am to watch the footy grand final, but before I'd made a decision it was 8am and it was all over - a draw!  So I'm kind of glad I didn't stumble down the stairs to the tv to watch it.  I'll probably have to drag my eyeballs to the pub next weekend in Munich to watch the re-match.  That will require some serious thought. 

Saturday was equally quiet until the tube spat me out because there was a dude on the tracks, and so I found myself in Oxford Street, abuzz with tourists and locals all doing their shopping.  I was swept up in the crowd and ended up in Primark buying jackets (it's been freeeeeeezing) and trying on boots in other stores.  Once I was sick of the crowds pushing and shoving - which didn't take long given my temper and lack of tolerance - I jumped on a bus and went to Notting Hill to meet Heather and Craig, more visitors from Oz.  It was a nice catch up, chatting about the finer things in life.  And then I went to dinner at the pub that night with Mikey, Kristin and Tara and got the Jenga going.  It's a really nice pub.  It has become my local.  On Sunday, despite the rain, we decided to have a bbq to mark Gemma's departure, and then I bombed out watching Dexter. 

What an exhausting week.  Seven days of pubs, barbeques and friends.  Amazing.  I'm having a detox before Oktoberfest this weekend! 

My relationship with Gym already seems to be showing signs of neglect.  I've just been so busy, you see.  Next week I'll give it the attention it needs.  Promise.

My roomie moves out this week to go and work for the Old Girl in Chelsea.  We've had a good run in our shared room and it's helped me settle into the first few months of London life.  Thanks Gemma, I'll miss you, but I'll be around at the Old Girl's soon to step on the pages of the book you're reading soon!  x

5 days and counting until beerfest - bring it!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


gemma on

ha ha, miss u already HK xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: