The Kookaburra Sits in his old gum tree

Trip Start Jun 09, 2003
Trip End Jun 02, 2007

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Saturday, November 19, 2005

Well I spent a lovely 10 days at the Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre. I was living in the garden shed for the duration. Well not quite, it was a gazebo that was open on 3 sides with just mosquito netting to protect me from the elements. The gazebo was right next to a little creek (stream) and waterfall so it was pretty noisy and a little windy. With just a bed, bookcase and table in it, it was very basic, but it was a very nice experience. I spent a few hours working everyday in exchange for the accommodation and all my food. I also had the opportunity to attend all the yoga classes in a lovely big octangonal hall surrounded by nature - it was a pretty amazing place to do yoga and as it was my first time ever doing yoga it was fantastic. We also did lots of meditation so I was feeling quite relaxed at the end of the week.

Robert and Mandii run the centre and live with their five children, 2 dogs, 2 sheep, 6 chooks, a rooster, 6 guinea fowl, 2 geese, 2 baby geese and last of all not forgetting Raja the camel. Part of my daily duties was to feed the sheep and Raja and then to round up all the birds and put them to bed. I can now add 'Chicken Chaser' to my CV! There were also lots of big lizards running around and I had a bit of an experience one night with a spider. I was lying in bed and noticed a little spider crawling up the inside of the mosquito net. I flicked it out with a piece of paper. I thought then that perhaps I should check the rest of the net - big mistake - in my torch light I noticed a huge (not quite tarantulic proportions but big enough to scare me half to death). I sat on the bed for a good five minutes not moving and trying not to panic but it was not happening. Thankfully I was eventually able to calm down enough to think about my situation and what my options were. On realising I had no one in the vicinity to extract the spider for me, I once again began to panic. I then had to tell myself not to be so silly and thought that if I had a big long stick I could flick it out with that, no way was I going near it with a little piece of paper. Only problem was that the spider was between me and the door, I would have to go underneath it to get out and find a big long stick! It was then I noticed the tip of a brush sticking out the top of the bookcase! Yes - I was saved! I grabbed it and gingerly poked at the spider, my heart racing in case it fell on me! I eventually managed to get the spider onto the brush part of the broom and I very quickly threw the spider and the brush out the door and slammed it shut! After my heart had stopped racing I was able to get to sleep!

Other than that it was a fairly uneventful time. There was a big yoga workshop running while I was there which I got to take part in, but I also had to help prepare all the food, so between sessions I was running back and forth - very tiring, but very enjoyable.

I headed back into Perth and two days later I began my next adventure, but I'm out of time now, so it'll have to wait. Also have no USB so no piccies for the next wee while I'm afraid!

Take care wherever you are
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: