Back to the Beach

Trip Start May 11, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Thursday, April 2, 2009

Marrisa is another beautiful surf beach.  The break is much more gentle then Hikaduwa and alot less crowed.  I stayed in a guest house right on the beach for the total cost of 5 bucks!.  The sound of  ocean waves is one of my favorite things to fall asleep to.  This beach had a laid back vibe with only a couple of beach shacks.  Sitting at one of the beach bars I met a German and a Czech couple who were looking for people to split a fishing boat with.  I joined up with them and the next day we were off to snorkel and catch some fish.  The boat was super skinny but comfortable enough.  The captain caught a fish every time he threw his line in!  I tried for awhile but with no luck.   In the end I think he caught around 20 fish! They were mostly small reef fish but still worth eating.  That night we barbecued the fish and drank the local spirit (Arak).   The captain and our guide (who were pretty drunk) sang us some chilled out Sri Lankan fishing songs while we hammered out a mellow beat on the table.  It was a good day....

   The next couple of days I surfed, went for beach jogs and checked out the town of Weligama.  When I was wondering around town I met a local guy named Dilium.  At first I was a bit skeptical of his offer to help find my way around because so many others offer only to demand a tip or take you to their Uncle's store but Dilum turned out to be a great guy.  He really just wanted to practice his English and get to know a foreigner.  He took me to his house, introduced me to his lovely family and gave me a tour of the city.  I had such a good time I agreed to meet up the next day.  He pedaled me around on the back of his bike and we checked out a funeral procession.  He told me they did not mind if I took photos so I let her rip.  We followed the procession all the way into the graveyard where all the closest relatives were circling the coffin.  The coffin was then opened so that everyone could say the last goodbyes.  Then something happened that surprised the hell out of me.  The crowed motioned for me to come over to take of a photo of the deceased!  I could not believe it and was barely able to pull off the shot. Once they were sure I had a picture they closed the coffin and started the burial procedure. 

    After this I went back to his house and his mom made me a delicious lunch and showed me family photos.   Dilium wanted to keep in contact when I left so he got an email address for the first time and we write each other periodically.
    After leaving this beach I went back to Hikadwa.  I liked this beach the most and wanted to spend a couple more days there.  Ive included some pictures of Hikadwa in this entry rather than write up another one.  Off to climb Adam's Peak!   
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: