French India and Auroville
Trip Start May 11, 2005
320Trip End Ongoing
Show trip route
The walk along the ocean boardwalk was pretty scenic with a mix of Europeans and Indians. When the board walk ran out I kept going. I ended up walking around a little fishing village which butts up against the end of the promenade. Little dirt huts with adults, kids, chickens and cows roaming around
That night I stumbled upon a little beach side concert. Now I am going to show my ignorance here because I don't know the types of music or the types of dances I saw. I can't look up everything you know!. But it was very entertaining. There were old Indian men singing and playing the Sitar which was interesting at first but after a bit became painfully monotonous. This was followed by a group of little girls dressed up in traditional (Tamil?) clothing and doing the local dances. The younger girls (6-8 year olds) were super cute while the older girls performed together in perfect unison.
The next day I went to go explore a place called Auroville. I heard it was a place simlar to a commune/kibbutz where people from anywhere could come work and live together in peace. Sounds a little weird eh? I rented a scooter for the day (3 bucks!)and drove out there. I was really curious to see what this community was all about. Upon arrival to the visitors center I learned that Auroville does not really explain itself that well. I watched the welcome video and perused their literature but I still didn't get it. If you care to know about Auroville you can always Google it.... but if you want to understand why I the couldn't get a firm grasp on it..
"Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity."
1. Auroville belongs to nobody in particular.
2. Auroville belongs to humanity as a whole.
3. But to live in Auroville, one must be the willing servitor of the Divine Consciousness.
4. Auroville will be the place of an unending education, of constant progress, and a youth that never ages.
5. Auroville wants to be the bridge between the past and the future. Taking advantage of all discoveries from without and from within,
6. Auroville will boldly spring towards future realisations. Auroville will be a site of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual Human Unity.
Now do you understand Auroville?
On my way back back to town I got wicked lost, picked up a hitch hiker and ran into a funeral procession...