A full and exciting week!

Trip Start Dec 10, 2011
Trip End Jan 26, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
upper hill campsite and backpackers
What I did
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Massai Markets
Kibera Slum

Flag of Kenya  ,
Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday I arrived In Nairobi, it instantly felt like I was home. I hung around at the airport for 2 hours until mum's flight arrived, only her plane was an hour late and then she took another hour getting off, so after a long day hanging around the airport we finally got to our accommodation; Upper Hill Campsite and Backpackers. It's so great to be back here and see the owner Jessi again, shes this funny, tough, american lady. We planned a special first night and headed to Carnivore for dinner where we enjoyed tasting a variety of ox balls, ostrich, beef, pork, liver, LAMB and many other things. Carnivore used to serve game meat but is now just an all you can eat, spit roast type of place. 

Friday: we hired a taxi driver called Joseph who only has one very long, wonky tooth at the front and keeps calling me his daughter. We visited the giraffe centre where I got my first kiss in months from a giraffe, the elephant orphanage where mum and I sponsored baby elephants (mine is called Kathaki and is only 3 months old) and the Karen museum (the lady who wrote out of Africa).

Saturday: We visited the Massai markets where we spent hours being walked around with people to carry our "maybe purchases". We both chose a lot of things for them to carry and then bartered in an attempt to get a good price (didn't go so well we have now decided). Mum and I where sitting in the taxi and some guy was telling mum he was in love with me and could he please marry me (he offered her a packet of peanuts) and kept blowing me kisses, other guys in Matatu's overhearing joined in and I had 3 marriage proposals at the stop lights alone. In the afternoon Mum and I went back to the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage for a private hour with our baby elephants where we could touch them, watch them be fed their bottles, talk with their keepers and then be put to bed. It was a beautiful and amazing experience and nothing could compare to it. Kathaki is TINY and playful, he has to be rugged up in blankets to be kept warm and loves attention, he reminded me of any baby. Joseph took us for lunch at his "favourite restaurant" which is at the now abandoned train station and we where just about the only people there. I was sure that mum and I where going to get our organs cut out and sold on the black market but it was a funny experience.

Sunday: a fairly chilled day, we went to the shopping centre and wandered for a few hours, bought some things at the supermarket, got pedicures (I needed one, the lady cut mums foot open), bought ourselves some baileys and snacks for the long bus ride to Kisumu tomorrow 

Miss you all! x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: