Trip Start Oct 05, 2007
Trip End Oct 04, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Thursday, January 31, 2008

After driving through lots of Palm Tree Plantations (areas that used to be rainforest) we arrive in Taman Negara and are checked straight into a hostel. We then go down to one of the floating restaurants to pick up our passes to go into the rainforest and have dinner. As the place gets dark all the insects come out, including the very noisy cicadas which seem to just hurl themselves at anything and scream really loudly. We quickly run away back to our room and have an early night ready for trekking the next day.

After a bit of a lie in we catch a taxi boat accross the river and into the rainforest. We first head towards the canopy walkway, which is meant to be one of the longest canopy walkways in the world. Just after we walk into the forest we spot a monitor lizard crawling into the undergrowth and then we disturb some wildboar and see them running off deeper into the trees. We continue on and it's really good listening to the sounds of the jungle, the insects are really loud!. We hear rustling in the trees above us and we stop to watch monkeys swinging through the trees. We know we're getting closer to the canopy walkway as we can here someone up above us screaming and eventually we make it to the start. The walkway is much better than the one we went on in Penang and the view from the top is really good as you can see accross the forest. Unfortunately if you look out in one direction you can see more areas of deforestation where soon there will be Palm Tree Plantations. We then decided to follow the trail up to the top of the hill which was hard work in the heat but definitely worth the view at the top. We sit and have a rest at the top listening to monkeys calling somewhere in the jungle below us. We walk back down the hill and come accross a wild boar right next to the path who isn't at all bothered by our presence so we can get pretty close to it. We then take a different route back, when we're nearly back at the river crossing we spot monkeys jumping through the trees again.  We get back to the where we started from and catch a boat across the river and then spend the rest of the afternoon cooling down and relaxing. In the evening we decide to try somewhere else to eat so walk further up the river to a indian/malaysian/vegetarian place. We order what we want and then wait for ages and end up with one plate of rice and one of vegetables when we'd both ordered noodle dishes! We manage to get accross that we ordered two dishes and ten minutes later we get given another plate of different vegetables so we give up and tuck in anyway. We then go to another restaurant and treat ourselves to pancakes for pudding before going back to our dorm room. There we meet 3 people who are travelling together and one comes from leeds so we spent the rest of the evening chatting. 

The next day we set out fairly late again and go across the river where we head the opposite direction to the day before. We don't see as much wildlife this time but we enjoy the walk through the jungle and eventually we make it to a hide where we rest for a while and look at the comment book that people who stayed there overnight have written and are glad that we didn't try and stay in one overnight as no one seemed to see anything and got attacked by leaches as well. We then walk back the way we came and pass the first person we've seen all day. We spot monkeys and a black squirrel on the way back as well.

For dinner we go for a safe bet and eat at the place where we had pancakes the night before, just as we start eating a storm hits and we're sat in a floating restaurant getting rather wet as the wind is blowing the rain in but it's rather cool just being surrounded by water. The rain eventually eases off a bit so we head back to our room and get ready to go on a night river safari. We go down and jump in our boat with two other people and get taken up river. Our guide uses a flash light to look in the bushes as we go up stream and sooon spots a deer and fawn by the river bank which is really great to see. We carry on further and see more deer and a big frog, we hear otters and then on the way back down river we see an owl, a night jack and some other birds as well as loads of fire flys. It was really cool floating down the river listening to the noises from the jungle and looking at the stars which were really bright but all too soon we were back in our room getting ready to leave the next day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: